Migration Assistant vs Manual clean install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Steve-F, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Steve-F, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

Steve-F macrumors member

Just ordered up a new MacBook and debating how to load all my files and apps.
    I'm coming from a 2006 MacBook with OS 10.6.8.

I'm leaning towards not using migration assistant and doing a clean install of everything - I've too many legacy things on the old MacBook and would like to take the opportunity to just install what I currently use.
    Any tips or links as to how and what to watch out for?

A couple of things I'm not sure on:
    - do I have to set up the new MacBook with a different user name?
    - should I de-authorise the old MacBook before I start the process?
    - best way to bring in Mail, Calendar and Address Book info?

Thanks for any help.
    Steve

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm old school, and when migration asst. came out back in the day I had problems migrating from an old mac to a new one. To that end, I usually set it up as new and reinstall my apps.

This has (for me) the distinct advantage of having a clean system without the cruft that builds up over time.

At this point, I'm sure there's nothing wrong with migration asst, but its not too difficult to reinstall my apps and what not so I prefer that way.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Another option is just to use migration assistant to copy user data and maybe system preferences. I did that last time I was starting with a fresh OS install.

That way I was able to just install current copies of the apps I wanted.

Note that I also didn't have it copy other data. This includes stuff under /User/Shared.

I figure this was a good compromise between a clean install and restoring everything.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I've been using Migration Asst for years now. I let it copy everything including apps and preferences. It does a fine job.

I can see the advantages of doing a clean install on an OS with less automated "self cleaning" but on OSX, in my experience, I don't find any disadvantage to migration assistant versus doing a clean install.