Migration Assistant -What does it bring over

Discussion in 'macOS' started by naftalim, Oct 27, 2007.

1. naftalim macrumors 6502

I just completed a successful Erase and Install for a friend running 10.2. (I had to download an older version of Carbon Copy Cloner, but it worked.) I wasnt able to set the External to a Startup Drive but everything is on there.

My friend has several applications that I need to bring back into her system. She does not have the CDs (Office 2004, Toast etc, many moves and 3 kids later) She does have legitimate licenses. She uses Entourage for Mail. I just dragged over Office 2004, but there is no data there.

How would I bring over these applications? I was afraid to use Migration Assistant as it seems to bring over everything, and I don't want to bring all her old files over, I want her to be able to cherry pick what she will keep in her new Leopard Install.

Thanks for your help, I am doing this tonight so any help is appreciated.

2. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

did this last night with migration assistant and worked very well. i believe you can pick 3 things (or 1 or 2 or all of them) - apps, user settings (email, network, etc) and docs. i left off docs so i could go through and pick and choose. it does bring over every app- like cs3 etc. (in my case) perfectly as long as it is leopard "compatible". network settings and user prefs worked great too. the apps i no longer wanted i just trashed after the migration. better to have the ones i need work and have to manually remove the one's i don't than have to go through the hassle of reinstalling them IMHO.

3. sidekickchild macrumors newbie

jjust a quick query on the subject....following a migration do the apps, preferences and stuff stay on the original mac still? or are they completely moved to the new one...i.e. does it just copy them over or does it literally move it?

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

they duplicate not move, so remember your serials are prob for 1 machine.

5. sidekickchild macrumors newbie

hmmm, are serials per machine or per user? surely i shouldnt need to purchase another serial just tot use the program on another computer? i better not have to purchase another adobe cs3 license lol!

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Typically, "per CPU", or the machine. Licenses like that just require uninstalling from the original machine when the app is used on another. If you intend to use it on a second machine, then an additional license would be needed. Look at the EULA, it'll specify.

7. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

No wonder piracy is rife.

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Why, because people are basically dishonest or too cheap? That's called "entitlement issues." Seat or CPU licenses have been around for ages, nothing unique about the concept, and not just in computing. If you register or plate a car, that registration is tied to that vehicle. You want five cars, get five licenses. And you can only drive one of those at a time, as well, so the "I only use one at a time" argument doesn't hold, because someone else could drive that car, or use that app, and gain value from it.

Want doesn't justify piracy, and really, neither does need. If a person truly needs a product, than the expense is the cost of doing business. Doesn't matter if we're talking software, cars, or a loaf of bread.