Migration assistant. WTF?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jwt, Feb 1, 2008.

1. jwt macrumors 6502

I just got my new Mac Pro and I was trying to transfer files from my Powermac G4 via Migration Assistant. The transfer apparently was a success from the dialog box in MA. Here's the catch: my 20 GB of files aren't on my new mac, but somehow there is 20 GB less space available. WTF? Where are my files, and where did my HD space go?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

3. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

No. But I scoured the drive for them, and didn't find them. Somehow MA moved (not copied) Adobe CS3, but no other applications over to the new machine. Now I have to reinstall it on the old machine just to deactivate it. PITA! I sure hope product activation doesn't turn into a nightmare.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

check out this Apple support page on migration assistant. try see how you can get your files back or which settings you should choose to get all your files.

5. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

Man, that migration was more f'ed than I thought. It moved CS3, and apparently no other apps, to the new computer. As a result, I couldn't deactivate. I had to call Adobe and explain myself so they would activate the software on my new machine. I'll never trust a migration assistant ever again. What a headache! Anyway, everything seems to be straightened out.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i dont trust it either. i used migration assistant with a cloned firewire drive and just about every app even the background processes started crashing. i ended up doing another fresh install and manually import everything.

7. TimNiego macrumors newbie

Avoid Migration with Pro apps

If you are using many pro applications, CS3, Final Cut Studio, etc. reinstall everything fresh on a new machine. The chance of preferences corruption, etc makes a fresh install the best option.

I spent Wednesday installing Final Cut Studio and CS3 Prod Prem on a new Mac Pro, but would rather know everything is installed fine rather than find a crashing application next week while in the middle of a job.

8. jwt thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I unselected the option of moving my apps, but it did it anyway. Like you said, I wanted a clean install to be sure everything worked the way it should.

9. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Just to give you another data point or whatever, ...

I have been using migration assistant (on average) maybe twice a day for about five years (easily), and never had it fail on any computer. Not even once. This is a very unique experience you are having IMO.

The other person that talked about the Firewire drive migration failure is a different story altogether from a regular migration and should not be compared to your situation.

10. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

NEVER use MA

I don't EVER trust it, do it all yourself. And as for PRO Apps, deactivate them from the old computer, and reinstall them on your new MP. and for files, get a backup HD.

11. Allen Werner macrumors newbie

I've just had the same problem going iBook G4 to MBP. Migration Assistant called it a success, however none of my files were there, only the applications. I was also transferring Adobe CS3.

CS3 runs fine, but I am worried things might be screwy down the line. Maybe its best to do a fresh install.

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I bought a new HDD for my MBP and because I don't have the T6 Torx tool to install it, I opted to put it in an external enclosure. After I installed SL on it, I am trying (without success) to transfer some user's data from my internal HDD (Leopard) to the new external HDD (Snow Leopard).
    Unfortunately the Migration :mad: Assistant doesn't do anything different than asking for the administrator password, and after entering it, nothing else happens.
    WTF?

13. kep25 macrumors newbie

moving iTunes from iMac to powerbook pro

I've read the previous posts and I haven't seen a solution to this problem that some of us have. I have used MA w/a firewire transfer. It took roughly the 27 min that it said it would. When finished, I can find my mp3 files nowhere on my pbp. where did they go??? how do I do this successfully?:mad: