Migration Assistant

Discussion in 'iMac' started by StrangeMagic, May 6, 2011.

1. StrangeMagic macrumors newbie

I just got my refurbished imac. I wasn't aware that there was something called migration assistant and I'm still not sure exactly how it works. I do have a Macbook Pro and it would be great if I could move everything to my desktop. Since I don't have a firewire cable, i will have to get it tomorrow. Before I try this, though, I wanted to make sure I understand it (and I apologize in advance if this is a really dense question but I am not very technical savvy).

Will the migration assistant basically move everything from my macbook to my desktop? I'm talking software like Adobe CS5 and MS Office along with files?

Any information is appreciated.

2. Zen0Jin macrumors member

Yes, and the easiest way is to Time Machine your Macbook Pro and Migration Assistant using that Time Machine file - > Virtual copy of your MBP (user settings, desktop, files, programs etc) onto your new Imac.

3. Rgladman macrumors regular

Yes it will move everything.

If you have a network cable you can run between the two computers and will be faster than FireWire. You can change the method from FireWire to network.

I used this method to move everything from my 2008 iMac and worked perfectly.

4. StrangeMagic thread starter macrumors newbie

That's great. I don't have a network cable and I believe the Firewire is cheaper. Will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks much for the clarification!