Migration assistant ?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Martyimac, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

New iMac arriving. I intend to use Migration assistant to transfer everything from my tcMP.
    Is it better to use WiFi or use a cat 5 cable between the two machines?
    Any other tidbits of info you might suggest?
    Thanks

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

Follow the process documented by Apple:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

I prefer using ethernet, but wi-fi is about the same speed if you have newer computers and a router that supports AC speeds.

The one thing to be aware of is to not create an account that is the same user on the new iMac as one on your MP, there can be problems if Migration Assistant tries to deal with the same User account on both machines. Another option is to connect the 2 computers before turning on the new iMac and let the setup assistant that runs when starting a new computer do the migration.

3. Martyimac thread starter macrumors 68000

Martyimac

GREAT info, THANK YOU!

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:

Just wondering, do you keep a backup drive?
    If so, what app do you use to back up?

5. Martyimac thread starter macrumors 68000

Martyimac

Yes, on the mini I am using a Porsche Design 500GB spinner.
    On the new iMac will be using a Samsung T5
    I use the MacOS backup program, IE Time Machine.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Fishrrman's "you can do it!" routine for migrating to a new Mac:

If you follow my instructions below, I guarantee a success rate of 98%:
    PRINT OUT these instructions and check them off as you go along.

1. BEFORE you do anything else, run a "final" backup on your old Mac. Use an external drive for this. It can be either TM or a cloned backup using CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. I prefer CCC.
    2. Shut down the old Mac and disconnect the external drive
    3. Take the new Mac out of the box and set it up on the table. DO NOT PRESS THE POWER ON BUTTON until step 8 (read on). You don't want to begin setup until "the right moment".
    4. If you're using an external display, connect the display using the usb-c/VGA adapter/cable that you have
    5. Connect the keyboard and mouse if you use them. I STRONGLY SUGGEST that you connect them DIRECTLY to the Mac.
    6. If you use a hub, leave it DISCONNECTED for now
    7. Connect your backup drive -- use a usb-c adapter if needed.

OK, we're ready-to-go, so let's get goin':
    8. Press the power on button for the first time.
    9. The new Mac may ask for help "finding" the keyboard, just follow instructions.
    10. Begin setup. At the appropriate moment, setup assistant will ask if you wish to migrate from another Mac or drive. YES, you want to do this.
    11. "Aim" setup assistant at the external backup. Setup assistant will need a little time to "digest it all". BE PATIENT and give setup assistant the time it needs.
    12. You will now see a list of things that can be migrated, such as applications, accounts, settings and data.
    13. I suggest that you select ALL of them.
    14. Let setup assistant "do its thing". It's going to TAKE A WHILE to move things over. Again, be patient. If you have a lot "of stuff", it will take a lot of time!
    15. When done, you should see the login screen. Go ahead and login.
    16. Once logged in, things should look pretty much as they looked on your old Mac.
    17. You should check all your apps. Some may not run, and may require upgrading.
    18. You can set aside the old backup, or ... "repurpose it" to become the backup for the new Mac. I'd keep the old one around for a week or so, at least.

7. Martyimac, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019

Martyimac thread starter macrumors 68000

Martyimac

Thought you might be interested in the results. The good news is it mostly went perfect. The one glitch is one I didn't anticipate and it's a bug with Migration assistant, which I did report to  as a bug.
    In MA, if the old computer like I had has Bluetooth turned off, then when MA is done, Bluetooth is turned off on the new computer which, of course, leads to not having a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard available and setup comes to a screeching halt.
    After about 5 minutes of major head scratching, I plugged my old USB mouse and keyboard in and voila, I had a mouse and keyboard again.
    I'll tuck this away but at my age, not sure how long I will remember it. :D

8. madrich macrumors 6502

madrich

Before you erase and ship your old computer, double check that you have everything you want on the new computer.

9. Martyimac thread starter macrumors 68000

Martyimac

Already done, trading it in to  for a nice discount to go with the military discount. Followed  instructions on clearing, logging out, turning things off, etc.

10. HuskerHarley macrumors regular

HuskerHarley

My 1st iMac is scheduled for delivery today.

I have a Windows computer. Will the guide/instructions work the same?

11. madrich macrumors 6502

madrich

If Fishrrman does not readily respond, I would search Apple Support directly on the Apple website for your windows guide.

12. Martyimac thread starter macrumors 68000

Martyimac

13. HuskerHarley macrumors regular

HuskerHarley

14. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Glad you found the answer, because I have zero experience with Windows and know nothing about it.
    I'm a "Mac only" kinda guy... ;)

15. HuskerHarley macrumors regular

HuskerHarley

I found "An Answer" now I just hope it's the right one, LOL!...I'm on the road to becoming a Mac Only as well.