Migration Assistant

Discussion in 'macOS' started by akm3, Jan 29, 2008.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

Does the Migration assistant just copy all your apps, settings, passwords, serial numbers, etc so that your 'new Mac' is exactly like your 'old Mac'?

Is the old mac changed in any way? Are any applications that require a serial number disabled on your 'old machine'?

I currently have a Mini and am thinking about an Apple laptop, and would like replication; but not if it cripples anything on the mini.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yes migration assistant moves over all the files to make your new mac just like your old mac. if however an application does not seem to work or lost its serial number just reinstall it.

3. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

The second half of your question is: no. Your old Mac mini is completely untouched by Migration Assistant.

4. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

My Mac Mini is running Tiger, will my new (presumably Leopard) Mac be impacted in anyway due to the OS difference? (Obviously some apps don't play nice under Leopard)

Is this something that is actually not recommended, like 'upgrading' Windows XP to Vista instead of doing a fresh install (i.e. inherited problems/bugs)

5. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

You will get a lot of arguments both ways, and there are always programs that may need to be updated or even reinstalled when you jump operating systems. The Migration Assistant will not attempt to bring in anything related to the Tiger OS. The only problem I have run into yet was a brand new machine whose hard drive decided to die during the process. Good luck!