Migration Assistant

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carfac, May 5, 2008.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Hi:

I have a 20" white iMac. I just got Pro Tools, and I wanted to use this computer as a dedicated unit to run PT... so I got myself a 24" iMac to take it's place as the "family" computer. So, the 20" is set up right now as we like it- all our user accounts, programs, passwords, etc. I want to transfer all these to the 24, and hopefully not loose anything, and then reformat the 20 for PT.

I have never used the Migration Assistant before, so I was hoping to learn about it before I just jump right in. First, will it do what I think- that is, move all the accounts, info, passwords, and installed programs and data? Is there anything I should know, be aware of, or do to get this to run as smoothly as possible? Finally, are there any online tutorials or anything that shows me how this all works- I just want to have a good feeling for the process before I do it!

Thanks!

Dave

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

when I used it, it transferred *everything*, and left my new MacBook exactly like my old eMac. It was a completely seamless transition.

There's no tutorial necessary... you just follow the instructions on screen and let it do the transferring...

3. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

How fast did it seem? I know, that is pretty open ended... ;)

4. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

it depends on how full your harddrive is... I don't remember exactly how long it took, probably a couple hours for 35 GB or so... it's definitely the best way to mirror two Macs