Migration considering Photo

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bagongo, Mar 19, 2015.

1. bagongo macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am about to migrate my 5+ years worth of data from my old macbook pro to a new one (2014).

I intend to do this via a time machine backup to get a complete transfer of ALL the data.

My concern here reside in a possible Iphoto/Photo incongruence.
    As a matter of fact the new mac will have OSX and relative apps updated to its production year (mid 2014) but the backup I will use is from the mac I am utilizing now which has Photo since the first beta (already deleted Iphoto app and library but backed those up).

So I am wondering (since it's the first migration I have ever made), do I go on with the restore from backup and will have the Photo app and its whole library installed properly on the new macbook pro or I should do something in advance to avoid messing up of things??

Also - a little OT - while going through my photo library prior to the migration, I noticed I have several events (all from within a week span of time) that do not display the photo they're supposed to contain. What I mean is that they're listed along with all the others in the events panel with date/number of elements in them, ecc..., but they are 'blank' and do not show any image even if I open them.
    Has anyone else noticed the same behavior? Is there a solution to this?

Thanks a lot for your attention!!!!

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I can't recall, but I seem to remember that migrating from a new system to an older one is problematic, and it certainly would be ill advised if it's a new beta to your main system.

I assume you made a backup before leaping into the 10.10.3 beta; why not migrate from that?

BTW, restoring is somewhat different from migration; it's usally used to put the same stuff back on the original machine, sort of like a clone.

The Photos library is different from the iPhotos library; you can't go BACK to iPhotos from Photos. You'd have to use the iPhotos library you used to upgrade to Photos.

3. bagongo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi @robgendreau. thanks a lot for your reply!

I couldn't use an older backup since I am using Yosemite beta since the first release and that would have meant going for at least a six moth old backup.

So I updated the new machine to the current official version of yosemite (10.10.2) then restored from my old mac backup running 10.10.3 beta.
    And it worked. As I am writing everything seems to have been transferred correctly, but for Photo (app).
    I see on the dock that there's a '?' in place of it's icon, 'cause this version of the OS still doesn't include it.

So what would your suggestion would be now?
    I was thinking of deleting PHOTO app and its library and then install the latest IPhoto app version and load the iphoto library I externally saved (prior to migration) into it.
    Supposedly Iphoto should recover all of its data if I simply place the library in its proper place.
    Then I would wait for the official 10.10.3 including Photo and perform just the image library migration. Whatcha think???

Thanks for your help!!! much appreciated!

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

If I understand correctly, you still have the old iPhoto library. So use that; it should work. Of course changes you made more recently in Photos wouldn't show up, but that sounds like it isn't a major problem. When Photos converted the old iPhoto library to a Photos library, it should have left the original untouched.

And you may actually get better results when you transition to the non-beta Photos, since apparently Apple has made changes in iPhoto to make that transition better. Just make sure you're running the latest version of iPhoto.