Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flowdeeps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
My wife has just bought a 13" MBP and wants to move her profile from her elderly 13" 2007 MB which is capped at 10.7. Unfortunately the migration assistant is telling us that both machines have to be running the same OS to work.

What's the best way to go about moving her across?

My first instinct is that a clean install of 10.7 on her new machine, migrate and then go through the successive OS generations to Mavericks is the only way (I've got legit copies in the App Store) but perhaps one of you smarter types can suggest a better way.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
According to Apple here you should be able to run MA to move from Lion to Mavs.

Migration Assistant in Mavericks is compatible with OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.8 or later. If you are migrating from an earlier version of OS X, update your older computer first, or manually copy your data from one computer to another.

Have you run software update on the Lion machine to make sure you have any updates?

You will not be able to install Lion on the new machine since Lion won't have the needed drivers.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
I'd fix up a meeting at genius bar and let them do it.

Sometimes these "simple" mac things are such a time killer that its just best to accept the overhead of going to a genius bar.

That it, of course, if there is a genius bar close by

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
You would need to install this : http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1695

(please note the system requirements : 10.7.5)

Or as Weaselboy said : "run software update on the Lion machine to make sure you have any updates".

Then you should be able to use Migration Assistant to transfer data from the Mac running Lion to the new one running Mavericks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.