Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

likota39

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, ON
Apple Discussions could not provide an answer: can I transfer all my files including the system from my MacBook Pro 2009 with El Capitan, to a MacBook 2010 with Sierra installed?

If I understand correctly, it's NOT possible to make a move using Migration Assistant from 10.11 to a Mac with 10.12. Please note that I do not care about the files or data already on MacBook with Sierra.

My MacBook is faster than my MBP, but it does not have a FireWire port, so I have to use Ethernet.

So my problem is: if I use Migration Assistant when both laptops are connected, is it possible first to ERASE the MacBook SSD drive, and then migrate all El Capitan files to a newly formatted SSD on MacBook?

Or maybe, I CAN erase Sierra before I connect two Macs together?

I was unable to find an answer anywhere.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
can I transfer all my files including the system from my MacBook Pro 2009 with El Capitan, to a MacBook 2010 with Sierra installed?
Your question was:

"how to transfer all my files including the system from my Macbook Pro 2009 with El capitan to a Macbook 2010 ?"

The answer is : put the Macbook Pro 2009's SSD into the Macbook 2010.

Or am I missing something ?

likota39

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, ON
Your question was:

"how to transfer all my files including the system from my Macbook Pro 2009 with El capitan to a Macbook 2010 ?"

The answer is : put the Macbook Pro 2009's SSD into the Macbook 2010.

Or am I missing something ?
That is one of solutions. I may be finally forced to do that.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
If you don't want to open the Macs, you might use an external USB drive to clone the Macbook Pro, then clone the clone to the Macbook.

(Carbon Copy Cloner, 30 days free trial)

Reactions: Weaselboy

likota39

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, ON
If you don't want to open the Macs, you might use an external USB drive to clone the Macbook Pro, then clone the clone to the Macbook.

(Carbon Copy Cloner, 30 days free trial)

I have an ext drive with CCCloner and a FireWire cable that MacBook does not have. There is El Cap fully backed up. A dongle to convert Firewire to USB is not operating properly and I'm afraid of a potential damage to USB ports. And no money for an additional external USB HD. :)

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
If I understand correctly, it's NOT possible to make a move using Migration Assistant from 10.11 to a Mac with 10.12.
You can migrate between different macOS versions actually, in fact the Ethernet solution you mentioned is how I was able to transfer my files from my old 2007 MB onto my 2010 MB (the '07 had Lion, the 2010 model had Mountain Lion).

likota39

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, ON
That sounds encouraging. I will try. Thanks.

May 12:
To be safe, I had to create bootable USB using DiskMaker X (an excellent Mac app that did it flawlessly... and if you use it, please donate), and then to erase Sierra on MacBook and instal El Cap. Using Ethernet, I moved all the apps from MBPro to MB, and I may be tempted later to update MB back to Sierra.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.