Migration from old Macbook to new Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pup975, Jun 28, 2009.

1. pup975 macrumors member

I'm about to purchase a new Macbook Pro to replace my 3 year old white Macbook. Ideally, I'd like to migrate over my files using firewire to my new Macbook, but I have a few questions about how it would handle the following:

1) Will my iLife 08 settings on my Macbook go to the iLife 09?
    2) How will it handle my boot camp drive? I'd like to switch from Parallels on my Macbook to VMware. Will the migration utility copy over the Parallels and would I then just delete Parallels from my system?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I will say this... Migration Assistant will not import your Boot Camp partition. You will need to run Boot Camp Assistant again on your new drive for that and either reinstall everything fresh, or use WinClone to create a clone of your Boot Camp drive and restore from it to the new partition.

Parallels should have an uninstaller on the installation .dmg
    I would use that instead of just deleting Parallels

As far as your settings for iLife 08, I am not certain, but I think not
    Someone else with experience with that can chime in here

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. njl macrumors regular

the only support i can offer is this:

i have a mid 06 whitebook (tiger) and just bought the MBP 13" 2.53 (the best computer i have ever had!!)

i was too cheap to buy the FW 400/800 cable so i used and ethernet cable - it did take forever, but got the job done..

the only issues:

1) on my new comp, the time zone kept going back to GMT - i'm CDT - i had to delete some folder (i forgot which) in the /etc folder (use the go to folder feature in leopard's finder). i did a restart and messed with the timezone and it worked great. supposedly, when you migrate from tiger to leopard via the mig asst app, it doesn't save the file correctly. i found on the discussions.apple board that they know this is a known bug..

2) my new garage band had driver issues, so i had to put in the app's disk and let it reinstall/fix it. i think this is due to when i had ProTools installed on my old whitebook and had to mess with the drivers to begin with

hope this helps a little (the time zone thing was killing me, it was messing with my sync'ing of appigo's todo app - all my todo's were a day off)

:)

4. mmulin macrumors 6502

Actually, the Ethernet is faster then FW800 if you set it to 1Gb/s.

5. njl macrumors regular

i had no idea :D