Migration from SL to Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MajorTCS, Oct 7, 2009.

1. MajorTCS macrumors regular

I am trying to copy my wifes files and especially WORD to my old (her new) iBook G4. When I try I get a message saying I must update the iBook to SL, which is not possible. I have Time Capsule/Time Machine. Is there a way to transfer WORD to the iBook? I am trying to avoid paying $150 for Word for Mac.

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

I don't think you can avoid that. You can only install Office products from an original CD and not by moving the apps around.

3. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

You SHOULD be able to, I had multiple copies of MS office running when I lived at home with my parents, only caveat was that you could only have one copy running at a time (it would search the network for other copies and refuse to open if there was one running).

4. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Check the license with the original copy of Word. My guess is that in order to transfer the program to another computer, you have to have the installation disks. If your position is supported by the license, contact our good friends at M$ and I am sure they will help you out (rather than make you buy another copy of their software......):D

5. MajorTCS thread starter macrumors regular

In the past I have used the Migration Assistant to clone from an older Mac to a newer Mac. Each time the Programs ( and Word for Mac) would transfer seemlessly. Maybe Time Capsule would allow me to copy it the iBook.

6. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I have transferred Word the very same way. Don't understand the "need installation disks" comments...

7. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

You can't just copy the program from one computer's applications folder to another unfortunately, it's too smart for that. But if you copied all of the library's Application Support files, and also the Library's preferences file; microsoft.plist (or whatever it's called) you may be able to massage it over that way.

Whenever I have had trouble with migration assistant in the past, I've checked for software updates until there are no more new ones to install on both machines... often times the migration assistant will work when the most recent software updates have been completed.

8. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

I have. . . multiple times. Which version or Word are we talking about? I have Office X, or whatever the first version for OS X was. . .