migration from SL to Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by cpnotebook80, Aug 7, 2011.

1. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

I just got my partner a new mba 13". So i started migration on both machines and selected just the music and picture files.
    after 45 mins, i noticed it bought over the account itself under users from the imac. i could not access documents and music etc. however the picture iphoto library,when opened on mba in lion, says its corrupt and i tried the backup the repair and nothing.

any alternatives or just doing it manually
    which defeats the whole purpose.
    guess i have to do command+r to reinstall lion n use migration from there

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I'd try deleting the user and migrating again. I believe that if it migrates any item in a user's account it may have to create that account on the new Mac.

Alternatively, do it manually with a new user on the new machine, assuming the rest of the installation works OK. If it's photos and music just copy it from one Mac t'other.

BTW, it's a little unclear from your post but you were't migrating in both directions, were you?

3. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, no i was just migrating form imac to mba. i will just copy movies and pictures over. i hope iphoto library if i just copy to mba iphoto location will work fine.

4. mikejpt macrumors newbie

Good Luck

Was on the phone for over an hour on Friday. Same problems. Some things transferred, some didn't. Went into the "hidden" library to check multiple things. NOTHING worked. Email accounts didn't transfer, iTunes a no go. iPhoto was mia. Have manually moved iPhoto, just reset everything for Safari. Sneaker netted 1Password and Documents. I (not apple support) figured out how to move my mail accounts and the things I needed to save (receipts etc) from "On My Mac". Still working on iTunes as I wait on a response from Apple Support supervisor. My last migration went off without a hitch but this one has been a real bear. Almost completely manual. No settings change etc. Wish my iTunes luck

Mike

5. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi mike
    Well, the imac we have had basic things on it so i dont have to worry about other software. But yes i was bummed at the migration assistant.
    so much for "that was easy"
    looks like SL and Lion have many differences but this could be a flaw?

I'm just going to transfer music pictures to the external HDD and do it that way.
    hope photo library transfers ok.

6. cpnotebook80 thread starter macrumors 6502a

great this sucks!
    i transferred my iphoto library folder from imac to portable WD drive. I plugged it into my macbook air . When i open iphoto, it detects the library off the diskdrive. I was like ok it opens fine and everything is there.

So i decided to copy the library folder to the pictures folder on the macbook air. So it's transferring and the size is 6 gb. At 4gb mark, it gives me an error saying cant copy corrupt library or something and then transfer closes.
    I was like damn it!

Itunes copies fine over. mm