Migration from Snow Leopard to Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sasasule, Oct 16, 2011.

1. sasasule macrumors member

sasasule

I am planing to move from Snow Leopard to Lion..but there are some question that i would like to check before i go for it.

I using iMac 27" and i have two DVDs

One is MacOSX Snow Leopard install disk
    Other is application disk

I already have MacOSX 10.6.8 on computer installed and iTunes are with IOS 5.0

Now if i install Lion i would like to know if my applications that comes with iMac will stay on my computer or all applications will be gone???

If anyone know answer on this question please help...

Some of application that came togather with iMac are

iChat
    iCal
    Front Row
    Photo Booth
    iPhoto
    iMovie
    GarageBand
    iDVD
    iWeb
    and many other that are not so important.

I did test clean installation of Lion on MBP but when i do so and try to use application DVD i cannot install any apps from that DVD...Does anyone know what is issue ????

2. Nikh macrumors regular

All apps, that don't use Rosetta (i.e. are old ones, written for non-Intel platform) should work ok.
    However, Lion has different versions for iCal and, probably, other apps.

If you have time and inspiration, you can do the following - use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your drive to other one (external HDD, or so), and install Lion over it, boot, and see if everything is ok.

3. sasasule thread starter macrumors member

sasasule

Is there any chance that you can provide me link for downloading of Carbone Copy cloner ??

Thanks in advance

4. sasasule thread starter macrumors member

sasasule

Tanks man for your help.
    I will give it a go to this to check out what will happend.

5. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

to OP: All the applications you're listing will work fine after upgrade. Data will be maintained. However several of them will be updated (mail, contacts, iCal, Photo Booth) with significant changes (all for the better IMHO).
    Having a backup is always essential anyway; if you have a Time Machine backup, that'll be enough. Most likely you won't have to use it, but better safe than sorry.

6. sasasule thread starter macrumors member

sasasule

Yeah Bernard you are totally right. Glad to hear that all standard programs will work fine...Just now need to get good and big HDD for Time Machine...to many movies, music, photos hehehe

thanks for your tips