Migration from Thunderbird to Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vogue, Feb 22, 2010.

1. vogue macrumors newbie

I decided to use Mail.app after using Thunderbird for years. When I use the import in Mail, it fails to import inbox items after May 2007.

Then, I copied all inbox items into a folder in Thunderbird. When I import that folder into Mail, again 17 out of 282 items which are dated until May 2007.

What do I have to do to fully import my mails?

btw sent & messages in other folders are correctly imported.

2. Wheelie4 macrumors regular

Wheelie4

3. vogue thread starter macrumors newbie

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Eudora Mailbox Cleaner 4.9

Yes, it's called Eudora Mailbox Cleaner, but it will also work with Thunderbird.

5. vogue thread starter macrumors newbie

Does not work. I got the folders but they are empty. Eudora Mailbox Cleaner says import of 6576 mails are done but I cannot access them.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Did you see this in the Program Usage info:

Note: (Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger") Mail 2.0 introduced a new mailbox format which uses a SQlite database (~/Library/Mail/Envelope Index) in addition to the mailboxes themselves. Until the imported messages are added to this database, the imported mailboxes will appear to be empty in Mail. Select "Mailbox → Rebuild" from the menu in Mail to rebuild each of the imported mailboxes and all your messages will show up correctly. For a little less cumbersome way to do this, you can use the AppleScript included in the download to rebuild all imported mailboxes - please don't interfere with the script's progress until it has finished - the script is using UI scripting which has some issues.

7. vogue thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I didn't rebuild the imported folders. Now I rebuilt each and every subfolder and now it looks like the problem is solved.. I spent so much time trying different things, I was at the edge of giving up.

Thanks a lot.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Glad to be of help.

9. vangrafhorst macrumors newbie

I'm very sorry, but I cannot find the option "rebuild" in the mail-menu to rebuild anything.
    I did import al the thunderbird contents through the Eudora Mailbox cleaner.
    Pleas give me a hint to solve this.

Thanks

Joris

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Select the mailbox you want to rebuild. From the Mailbox menu choose Rebuild. Repeat for each mailbox.

11. vangrafhorst macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, but I don't see the option. Do you have a printscreen?

Thanks

Joris

12. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Which version of Mail are you trying to do this with?

13. vangrafhorst macrumors newbie

OK, I see the item "rebuild". It is grey in mail application. I do have a map "import" under "on my mac". But clicking on it doesn't give any reaction. Looking in the folder I do see that the Thunderbird profile is nicely incorporated als a map"mailbox".

Joris
    I'm using mail 4.2

14. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

This looks like a good illustrated tutorial on doing just what you're trying to do. It explains it better than I can. Let me know if it helps.

15. vangrafhorst macrumors newbie

Thanks, I did all that and I got the messages that 25 folders were imported, but I could not open the folder "import" in Mail..... It simple wouldn't let it self open. In the folder user/mail/etc I do see the profile being imported...

Joris

16. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

The "import" folder doesn't actually open per se, but in the sidebar expands to show the nested files, do you mean it won't do that?

17. vangrafhorst macrumors newbie

I only see the folder "import" with and the triangle left of it, not showing downwards and no sign of folders belonging to the folder "import"

Joris

18. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Joris, are you a new Mac user? I suspect you are. The triangle is called either a disclosure triangle or a twisty, these are commonly used on many Mac applications. Anyway, you can single click directly on the triangle or double click on the words, the triangle should move to pointing down and disclose it's contents.

19. vangrafhorst macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm a new MAC-user. I'll try this later tonight after finishing work.
    Thanks for your effort.

Joris

edit: yes, it works. Thanks.

Now I only need to import my address book in Mail.