Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Hey folks - just purchased a new 15" MBP to replace one of our older laptops, and wanted to migrate my data to the new Pro and sort of "hand me down" my UMB to one of the folks working for me.

I tried migration assistant, but it was painfully slow over the air - so much so there was literally NO progress made over letting it run for about 3 hours. Admittedly I have a decent amount of data to be migrated, around 170 GB. Since the UMB lacks firewire, that's out.

So I ran SuperDuper and got a backup onto a USB drive,and then booted the Pro from that drive, and ran a restore. Took maybe 4 hours on each machine.

The Pro now boots up, runs fine (and fast) - but, two issues have come up (so far) that I am not sure how to address.

First, no sound! Sound was working before the restore, but now, nothing. When I try to adjust volume, I get a 'full volume' overlay on the screen, with a "NONE" symbol (circle with diagonal line thru it) indicating there is no sound on the laptop. Obviously that's not the case, but I'm not sure how to correct it - maybe a driver from the included Pro install disks?

Second, while the Pro recognizes two video cards (in system profiler) there's no option in power management to enable the 9600m GT.

So - effectively what I seem to have is a UMB install of OS X on my Pro. Other than these limitations things seem to be working fine.

The question is, do I need to reinstall the OS cleanly and come up with an alternate method of migrating Apps and Data, or is there a way I can repair / modify what I have?

Thanks!

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Hey folks - just purchased a new 15" MBP to replace one of our older laptops, and wanted to migrate my data to the new Pro and sort of "hand me down" my UMB to one of the folks working for me.

I tried migration assistant, but it was painfully slow over the air - so much so there was literally NO progress made over letting it run for about 3 hours. Admittedly I have a decent amount of data to be migrated, around 170 GB. Since the UMB lacks firewire, that's out.

So I ran SuperDuper and got a backup onto a USB drive,and then booted the Pro from that drive, and ran a restore. Took maybe 4 hours on each machine.

The Pro now boots up, runs fine (and fast) - but, two issues have come up (so far) that I am not sure how to address.

First, no sound! Sound was working before the restore, but now, nothing. When I try to adjust volume, I get a 'full volume' overlay on the screen, with a "NONE" symbol (circle with diagonal line thru it) indicating there is no sound on the laptop. Obviously that's not the case, but I'm not sure how to correct it - maybe a driver from the included Pro install disks?

Second, while the Pro recognizes two video cards (in system profiler) there's no option in power management to enable the 9600m GT.

So - effectively what I seem to have is a UMB install of OS X on my Pro. Other than these limitations things seem to be working fine.

The question is, do I need to reinstall the OS cleanly and come up with an alternate method of migrating Apps and Data, or is there a way I can repair / modify what I have?

Thanks!

Why not just reinstall OS from the disks, and use the migration assistant afterwords?

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Why not just reinstall OS from the disks, and use the migration assistant afterwords?

Tried that originally. The migration assistant is either running at glacier speed, or hanging.

Thus the alternate route of a USB backup and restore. Lack of a firewire port on the MB is bringing my migration to its knees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.