Migration Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by freeman727, Dec 10, 2015.

1. freeman727 macrumors 6502

I just received my 2015 iMac and trying to use Migration to transfer data from a 2009 Mac Pro on 10.11 using a time machine backup. I was succesful but when I sign in on the iMac, I get an error "Logging in failed because an error occurred."

Does anyone have a clue? Is it because I have FileVault turned on? I would hate to manually move things over.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Can you explain what order you did things? For example did you do the import as part of the system setup, or did you make a new account then do the import after (that can cause problems). At what stage did you turn on FileVault?

Just walk me through the order step by step if you can.

3. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have FileVault on for the MacPro. So it is copied over to the Time Machine. Can I go back and turn off FileVault on the Mac Pro and then make a new Time Machine backup?

Also Migration won't work with my Mac Pro connected to the iMac via ethernet. The Mac Pro is not recognized by the iMac.

This problem is very annoying.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No that is not the problem. If you have FV on for the Pro it would still make a normal Time machine backup that could be used as the migration source on the new iMac. I'm trying to understand the sequence you did things in the new Mac though so I can help. Can you explain step by step what you did after turning on the new iMac?

5. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

I started the iMac and ran setup as a new user. Afterward I tried to use the Migration tool. It transferred the files from the Mac Pro fine. I used a time machine backup onto a USB harddrive. It even has the old user login on the iMac. Problem happens when I try to log in.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay.... so you ran setup and made a new account on the iMac and afterwards ran Migration Assistant?

That may be the cause of your problems. Give this a read.

What happens is the first account you setup on a a new Mac is user ID 501. If from within that account you use Migration Assistant to import another account from an older mac and that account also was user ID 501, you have this conflict.

The easiest fix it to command-r boot to recovery and erase the disk the reinstall the OS. Then when setup assistant runs at startup follow the prompts to import from a Time Machine disk without making an account.

7. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks I'll give that a try when I go home.

8. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just tried your method and no dice.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Tell me a little more about what you did. Have I got the sequence correct.

1. 2009 Mac Pro on El Capitan logs in and works fine?
    2. You made a TM backup from the Pro.
    3. Command-r erased iMac and reinstalled OS X?
    4 Then when system setup launched you told it to import from the TM disk? Did that appear to complete okay?

So now where do we sit?

10. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

That was the sequence. Everything seemed to transfer fine but when I went to disk utility it seems to have only copied over 100gb of the 1.2tb

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmm... did it appear to complete the migration okay?

12. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

It migrated the apps and goes to the login screen

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you begin the migration there is a screen that comes up asking what you want to move over.... are you checking everything on that screen?

It looks kinda like this.

migrate2-252836.jpg

14. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks just like that. Could it be Little Snitch?

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you followed the steps we discussed and ran the import during system setup, Little Snitch would not even be running or installed on the iMac, so I don't see how that would do anything.