Migration help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macappletex, Dec 29, 2009.

1. macappletex macrumors member

I gave my son a MBP for Christmas. I wanted to transfer his iTunes library and few pics and files but I had the wrong firewire cable so I went ahead and setup his MBP for him. I now have the correct cable and need to use migration asst. to transfer the iTunes library and files. I tried once but ran into problems. I am transferring from an iMac running Leopard that has 4 user accts. The problem I had is that it tried to transfer all accounts! All I want is the iTunes library from his account and a few folders from his desktop. What do I select when prompted during the migration? Would it be easier to erase the hard drive and reinstall SNL from the cd and use migration asst. from the beginning? I have installed MS Office 08 and I can reinstall that as well. Any help is welcome!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could also just copy the iTunes library (music and library.xml file or the whole Users > your son's old account on the iMac > Music > iTunes folder) and the files from the Desktop via Firewire in Target Disk Mode or via a network connection done by an ethernet cable or even a Firewire cable.

Don't forget to start file sharing via System Preferences > Sharing.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549

3. macappletex thread starter macrumors member

so in using migration asst. would I just select files and folders? It did not give me an option on which user acct to select or which files or libraries to select. This is what giving me so much trouble. I am logged in on his acct. I was under the assumption I could hand pick which files I wanted to transfer but I yet to see that option. It gave me 4 choices -accounts, files and folders, settings, and something else, I believe. I am using Firewire to do this.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sorry, should have made that clearer.

You don't use Migration Assistant, but either Target Disk Mode (the older Mac mounted as an external HDD via Firewire) or network them via ethernet LAN or Firewire. Thus those two links in my post.

5. macappletex thread starter macrumors member

I just realized I made a mistake--my iMac has Tiger installed (10.4.11) on it....thought I had updated to Leopard but I don't use that computer much any more....mostly the kids computer. Sorry! I guess I have been using Target Disk Mode because I hold the T key down when rebooting older iMac.

6. macappletex thread starter macrumors member

Got it! Finally..I finally figured out how Target Disk Mode worked. That is so much easier than Migration Assistant!! Thanks for all the help!!:)