Migration issue from iMac partition to MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jperkal, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Jperkal macrumors newbie

I had created a Partition on my iMac for Sierra OS to test Sierra OS with my apps before buying the new MacBook Pro laptop.

I can't get rid of my El Capital partition now on my iMac. (Another story). I fubarred my time machine backup, erased the content on my El Capitan volume (hoping to delete it, which I can't). I've tried restarting with a recovery volume. That doesn't work either.

Setting those issues aside, how can I use my iMac Sierra partition/startup disk with migration assistant to my new MacBook Pro. I get an option to only migrate my entire iMac, for which I get an error on the MacBook Pro saying there is not enough room. I don't see an option to migrate from my Sierra startup disk which I have booted from to start my iMac.

I'm using the network connection for migration.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When running Migration Assistant you should at some point get to a screen like this. Select your user account then drill down and UNcheck some of the larger categories to get the size down small enough to fit on the MacBook.

iu.png

3. Jperkal thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you are using Migration Assistant, you will definitely get that screen. Look at the steps in this link and when you get to that screen where is shows Users you need to click to drop down.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204320

5. Jperkal thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked at "about this Mac" on the MacBook Pro. Under Storage it says for the Macintosh HD I have 229.65 GB available out of 249.68.

The hard drive icon shows a caption:
    251 GB
    Flash Storage
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2017 ---
    I only get Applications
    Documents & Data (edit)
    Computer and Network Settings as choices

I chose my account from Edit
    and unmarked Applcation and Computer and Network settings

I assume there is not enough room b/c the system hard drive is messed up.
    I just bought the machine and backed it up to my external hard drive that had time capsule backups from my iMac on it. Maybe that's related to my problem? ( i can't get any backups off my external hard drives now from my iMac.)