migration - key software left behind

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbrown, Feb 28, 2017.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Girlfriend recently upgraded to a 13" Non Touchbar MBP. We used Migration to transfer all files over, but for some reason a few got left behind. Most annoyingly was Microsoft Office.

So I intend to move it manually.....what key files do I need:

Obviously the Microsoft Office 2011 folder.

But being a complex suite I imagine theres are a few others dotted around that need transferring?

Cheers for the help - :)

2. Weaselboy, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There are support files all over the place for MS Office. I have never seen anybody able to get it all moved over successfully manually like that. Even if you did manage to get it all over there, it would not work without reregistering MS Office. Office will see it is on new hardware and slam on the brakes.

3. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

That's been my experience as well, the registration process requires re-registering, so I have taken to doing a new install and re-registering it, rather than trying to move or migrate

4. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Can I use Migration again, just specifying MS Office to copy over?

5. yukari macrumors regular

I think you are missing the point. Even with Migration, you still need to re-register.
    Therefore, it is a much simpler to reinstall.

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Why not just reinstall it? If it's legal software it'll take MUCH less time to install, enter the key and update than it's going to take trying to figure out what needs to be moved.

That said - I don't recall there being an issue with Migration Assistant bringing my Office 2011 install over when I did my SSD upgrade on my MBP. All I had to do was re-enter the registration key.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Don't run Migration again over top of what you have now as it will make a mess. There is a process where you can remove the current user account and make system setup run again, and you can run MA again that way to bring everything in again. But that still will not overcome the reregistration issue.

If you Google around for rerun os x setup assistant you can find links to how to remove that account and rerun setup