Migration of Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Freis968, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Ok, so when you migrate your apps folder from an old Mac to a new Mac, does the migration assistant replace all of the new apps with the current apps even if they are identical such as Safari, Disk Utility, iPhoto, etc or does it say to itself, Hey I don't need to replace these apps because they are identical to the ones I am going to install?

Does it just see what apps are different, such as Logic, FCE, Photoshop for instance and move them over or is it an entire moving over of your current apps folder?

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I believe by default it transfers anything different, mainly the apps that you have installed yourself. If there are ever duplicates of certain items it will create a folder "from old Mac" or something similar with the duplicate item. However, I have never seen this done with Safari or any of the main Apple apps. It may be smart enough to work by version number, or it may just assume that the system you are migrating to will have a newer version on it (or will be updated as such), I'm not sure exactly how, though.