Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I have a Mac with 10.12 and plan to get another (which has fresh install of 10.12)

I thought to use Migration Assistant via Firewire (target mode).

I assume all my applications and user data will get transferred.

Is such correct?

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Thanks CostalOR.

In reading the Apple article it was not clear if this can be done if the target has an older OS.

I assume both having the same OS is ideal and not possible if the target has a newer OS.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
It will work if the target has a newer OS.

There might be some issues if the source has some applications that are older and will not function properly with the newer OS. I have used Migration Assistant successfully transfer settings and applications many times with the source having a older OS and the target having a newer OS. The only problem I have had is with applications like Microsoft Office that has the registration tied to the old Mac's drive and thereby is not registered to the new Macs drive.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What I would suggest:
- Use an external drive (USB is fine)
- Create a cloned backup of the old Mac using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper
- When the new Mac comes, connect the cloned backup and press the power-on button
- Begin setup. When setup assistant asks if you wish to migrate from another Mac or drive, YES, you want to do this
- "Aim" setup assistant at the cloned backup
- Select those items you wish to be migrated.
- Let setup assistant "do its thing".
- You'll eventually be presented with a login screen. Login, and it should "look just like the old one did"...

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Thanks for all the sage advice.

If the new machine has no Firewire port
would a Thenderbolt adapter be fine?

Any possible data problems or reduced speed?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP asked:
"If the new machine has no Firewire port
would a Thenderbolt adapter be fine?"

You DON'T need firewire.
You DON'T need thunderbolt and shouldn't pay the high price for a thunderbolt drive.

A USB3 external drive will do the job, and do it quickly.
If all you have is a USB2 external drive, that will work "well enough". It will "do the same job", but will take longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.