Migration problem - ethernet not given as an option

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by annk, Jun 29, 2012.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

We're trying to migrate from a MB running 10.5.8 to a brand new MBP. I've understood that wifi is hopelessly slow, so we'd like to do it by connecting the computers directly to each other via an ethernet cable.

Problem is that ethernet is not listed as an option. The new MBP tells us that in order to migrate from the MB, both computers must be online. No other options are listed.

This migration is happening as part of the setup process for the MBP. Should we go ahead and set up the new machine without migration, then migrate afterwards?

Any ideas? :confused:

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I believe if you have wifi off, and have both computers connected to the network, it will use Ethernet. That should be enough.

3. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

That may well work. We were hoping to be able to connect them directly via an ethernet cable, since we know that's supposed to be an option, but we can try to connect them with ethernet cables via the router with wifi turned off. Thanks!

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Let us know if that works.

5. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Unfortunately, the router is in a room at the place we're staying where an ill individual has his bedroom (or adjacent to it, anyway). There was no good time to get in there to do what we needed to do, so we ended up using an external HD I have with me to let him (my son) create a Time Machine backup of the Macbook. We'll use that in migration assistant later today.

I'm still puzzled as to why using an Ethernet cable directly between the two machines wasn't possible. I found lots of instructions for migration assistent online that mentioned it as a possibility. :confused:

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If I'm following this conversation correctly, you wanted to connect two computers directly together via Ethernet right? In that case, you cannot use a regular Ethernet cable, but must use a cross-over Ethernet cable.

But then, I don't know if MA is setup to use Ethernet [cross-over] or not.

7. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

At least one of the set of instructions I found stated that a cross-over cable wasn't necessary, but if you're right, that could be the reason it didn't work. And I suppose it might also be the reason Ethernet wasn't given as an option during the process.

We had updated the software on both laptops first, and I also downloaded the Leopard to Lion migration update.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yep, any time you connect two computers directly together, a cross-over is required. The only other way is to use a router, switch or hub between them with regular straight-through cables.

I've never tried the MA via Ethernet and always used FireWire or USB.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Pretty much any computer made in the last ten years can automatically make the needed adjustments making the crossover cable unnecessary. I think every Mac has been able to since at least the G4.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

This is the first I've heard of that. Can you provide a link with documentation on that?

11. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I did this two days ago. Set up internet sharing on one of the computers, sharing the wifi connection via ethernet. This will create a subnet through which the two computers can communicate the migration.

Be sure to turn the sharing off when you're done.

12. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I saw that possibility in one of the instructions I found. How long did it take, and how many gigs did you transfer?

As I mentioned, we ended up going with a TM backup, but for another time I'm curious if this was a fairly fast (= that is, not 30 hours) solution.

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It is true I use a standard patch cable no x-over always auto negotiates.

Op- connect both macs before powering up and skip the wifi selection it should offer the Ethernet connection. If it doesn't then wifi off.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2274

15. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

We tried that, just as you describe. Only option we were given was wifi transfer. :(

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

17. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Update: Finally migrated successfully via a Time Machine backup. Took a while for the MBP to recognise that there was a TM backup on the Western Digital My Passport, but when it finally did, the whole process only took 20 minutes.

18. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It is Autosensing MDI/MDI-x. It started with Gigabit Ethernet but found it's way into newer 10/100 devices. I read about it in a computer magazine a long time ago. The only online source I can find that is considered legitamite would be a very brief overview by PC World.

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,1237,t=MDI+port&i=46692,00.asp

Apple products that do not require a crossover cable. Which are products with gigabit Ethernet. Which is pretty early on with the gigabit Ethernet PowerMac G4.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2274

Although Wikipedia is not always a reliable source. The article on MDI/MDI-X does have some good but brief references. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-MDIX#Auto-MDIX