Migration problem with 2 Mac Mini's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by patart, Jan 19, 2012.

1. patart macrumors newbie

I have an older Mac Mini running 10.6.8 and have just purchased a new 2.7 i7
    Mac Mini and wanted to migrate my old data to the new computer. Unfortunately I only have one monitor so it would be impossible for me to see the old one start up in target mode while the new one is running.

Last night I hooked up a Firewire connection between the two. Started new one up and then plugged my keyboard into the old one and started it holding the T key. Didn't recognize it. Next plugged a short ethernet cable into the back of each and appeared to be able to do a migration. It ran all night and then this morning it said "under a minute remaining". That went on for at least 2 hours to no avail so I ended up quitting the migration operation.

Any ideas how I can migrate old to new?

Pat

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Took 23 hours for mine. I left it alone!

3. TheKingOfHearts macrumors newbie

Your best, and far easiest method of migration is using TimeMachine. Do you not have an external HDD available? Alternatively you can choose when setting up a new Mac to restore from a previous one, I can't remember exactly how you do it, but its something like choose Migrate from another Mac on the install of the new one, connect the two together (Ethernet, FireWire, Thunderbolt) and then on the old Mac open Applications > Utilities > Migrate Assistant and follow it from there.

Hope it helps :) (p.s. Doesn't take long copying using that method either and its very comprehensive!)

4. patart thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately with only one monitor that is hooked up to the old one i can't "look" at the old computer and open the Applications folder on it.