Migration Problems from Imac G5 to new Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hammie104, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Hammie104 macrumors newbie

I need a little help. My Imac G5 stopped working. Bad power supply or logic board. I took out the hard drive put it in an enclosure and ordered a new Mac Mini. When the mini arrived I used the migration assistant to move everything over. Here are some issues:

1) Microsoft Office is there but the applications will not start up. I get a pop up that says that "this application will not work on this type of mac". The Icons are also greyed out with a stripe through them.

2) I Work '08. Same as above.

I did check to see if there were any trial versions of this software on the mini and there is not.

I've also tried to look into the Old Hard Drive and see if any files were not moved over. When I access the old drive it will not let me get into certain folders because it says I do not have permission. They have little red yeild signs beside them.

Any help or advice? Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. Which Office version? 2004 or 2008?
    If it is 2004, it is written for PPC Macs, thus you need Rosetta to run it.

Installing Rosetta under Snow Leopard

Apple does not include trial versions of MS Office anymore.

2. Why don't you use iLife '09, thus iMovie '09? It comes as a full version with current Macs.

Which folders had the "forbidden" sign?
    Was it this, just smaller:
    [​IMG]

3. Hammie104 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's office 2008. I'll look into the Rosetta thing because something did pop up when I tried another application.

I see the IMovie '09 but it does not include pages, numbers, or Keynote. I believe that is a seperate software package called Iwork.

almost all of the folders are forbidden. I can't get into the User or Library folders which is where I wanted to look

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You don't need Rosetta for Office 2008 though.

Pages, Keynote and Numbers belongs to the iWork suite, iLife includes iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, iWeb and Garage Band.

Does your current username differ from the one you used on your old iMac?

If so either right click on the top-folder (the one with all the subfolders) that has that "access forbidden" icon and select GET INFO. Then go down to the Sharing and Permissions tab and see if you can change it to your current user being able to read and write to those folders.

Or create another user on your MacMini with the same name and maybe password as the one on your iMac used to be (and that was able to access those folders) and see if that works, while you logged in as that new user of course.
    Then you might be able to copy data out of it.

5. Hammie104 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great suggestions. thank you. I'll try that right away! :D