Migration problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adamlazz, Jul 22, 2008.

1. adamlazz macrumors newbie

Hey everyone.
    I just bought a new 15' MBP for university next year.
    I just completed the migration assistant to transfer all of my data, music, pictures, documents, etc. to my MBP from my old iMac.
    However, when the process completed, the only thing that actually transferred was the raw applications. (Not even settings and such that go with the applications)
    I was _expecting_ to see my music, movies etc. being transferred as well.
    Is there something that I missed? Or is the Migration Assistant the problem, as it doesn't solve these types of problems?
    Adam:apple:

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Did the user transfer? If so, are you in the user that held all this information?

3. alecboye macrumors newbie

i have the same problem. i just bought an imac. i went to the apple store to ask what the best way would be to transfer documents, music, ical notes etc from my old 15" Powerbook. they recommended migration and it looked really easy. i hooked them up and transferred 60 G's worth of "documents".
    well when i checked my imac nothing was really there except a few itunes folders from my old library. under macintosh HD i go to Users...click on the username from my old computer and all that's there are empty folders (other than the itunes library). most of the folders also have a little stop sign on the lower right.

the most troublesome thing is that from 465G's....i'm now to 385 G. so...what the hell is taking up 80G's???

any advice would be appreciated.

4. adamlazz thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks NAG. Ya, when i migrated, I didn't know that the data wouldn't go into my existing file.
    after a restart, the solution presented itself.

thanks.