migration problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nick96ss, Nov 11, 2008.

1. nick96ss macrumors member

nick96ss

i posted a few weeks back about migrating my macbook to my new macbook pro so tonight i tried doing it and ran into problems .
    i bought a firewire 400/800
    went to migration assistant followed directions and after a half hour
    it said it could not complete transfer ...either try again or skip
    i tried this 3 times and with the same outcome
    how do i transfer my entire hard drive to my new macbook pro, will that wipe the old hard drive ? if not how do i do that so my wife can take my old comp
    thank you ..i'm pretty new to mac....

2. nick96ss thread starter macrumors member

nick96ss

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you're having issues you might try repairing disk permissions. Or you might just have to put the old Mac in target disk mode and move the files you want over manually.

Migration assistant will not delete the files off your old computer. If you want to make it like new for your wife pop in the OS restore disks and wipe the disk clean.

4. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

5. nick96ss thread starter macrumors member

nick96ss

it gets to a min left and then i get the error , can it be the cable ?
    how would i check if the cable is good ?
    i'm very new to mac so it will be kind hard for me to do it manually unless i had a step by step , anyone have any links to make it easier ....thanks

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why not just completely erase your new machine and then use something like carbon copy cloner to clone your old computer's drive onto your new one?

7. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I use Time Machine on a weekly basis with an external drive. During those backup sessions, I also run Disk Utility to stay on top of any potential problems. When I received my new MBP I simply plugged the external into the new machine and let Migration Assistant do the rest. I remember using Target Mode on a previous machine and remember it being seamless. It sounds like you need to run a diagnostic test. External hard drives are relatively cheap and they are worth their weight in gold when you have problems.

8. nick96ss thread starter macrumors member

nick96ss

i'm going to try it through ethernet cable tonight and see what happens
    if thats doesn't work i'll look into a external drive nd also the carbon copy
    thanks all

9. kennyli macrumors regular

Ethernet cable will take ages to complete the whole migration process .....

Buy a better quality firewire cable. If your firewire port is not damaged, in most cases is caused by bad quality cable!

If you don't need accounts and other settings, just startup the old one as target disk mode and transfer the files you wanted via firewire cable.

10. nick96ss thread starter macrumors member

nick96ss

If you don't need accounts and other settings, just startup the old one as target disk mode and transfer the files you wanted via firewire cable.[/QUOTE]

ok how do i do this ?
    the fiirewire i used is brand new never used , i know means nothing

11. kennyli macrumors regular

In you OLD machine, press "Power + T" to switch it on and it will turn itself into Target disk model. Connect the firware to your NEW machine, than you will see your OLD machine as a disk drive.

12. nick96ss thread starter macrumors member

nick96ss