Migration question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by McDLT, May 13, 2015.

1. McDLT macrumors regular

I’m moving from a Mac pro to a macbook and I’m not sure how best to migrate. The desktop has the system and apps on one drive, the home folder on another. I would like the same setup on the notebook with the system and apps on the internal and the home folder on an external. Is there a simple way to do this? Also will my software licenses transfer over?

Thanks!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Apart from copying things over manually you'll not achieve what you want.-

Software licenses can be iffy. If at all possible, uninstall and de-register the computer before the transfer.

3. McDLT thread starter macrumors regular

I thought that might be the case. Oh well.

As far as the majority of my data, I'm sure copying will be a breeze, but how does it work with apple software that creates libraries, such as photos and iTunes? Would I just copy the libraries over before launching the applications and then point the applications to the correct locations?

4. chabig macrumors 68040

Migrate the system drive to the new computer. Then log in and di whatever you do to point your home folder to a new external drive. Finally, with both externals connected, copy your home folder files to the new drive.

Licensing will probably only be an issue with Adobe apps and Microsoft Office.