Migration question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macphisto, Nov 17, 2007.

1. macphisto macrumors regular

I have a G5 that I have been using for a couple of years now (it is 10.4) and an older G4 iMac (it is 1Ghz on 10.3.9) at home. Now I want to move the iMac to be a backup machine and just use the G5, but I need to migrate some data first. Specifically, I want to migrate 3 applications to the G5: Mail, iPhoto and iTunes, and am not sure the best way to do it (the rest of the data is just a matter of copying over the network).

With iTunes, I could just copy the library from one to another, but is there a way I could easily combine the two libraries and keep the playlists?

With iPhoto, both computers have version 4.0.3, I want to move the library from iMac to the G5, and not mess up any of the albums or photos that my wife has setup.

With Mail (I have never used Mail on my G5 I had to use Entourage for work). I just want to migrate everything from my iMac to my unused Mail app on the G5.

Migration Assistant would be the obvious choice, but I don't want to lose the settings and everything that I have setup on my G5. SyncTogther or ChronoSync might work, but I am not really syncing, but rather migrating.

Anyone have any ideas or help you can lend me?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Merging itunes libraries and keeping the playlists will be problematic (especially when it comes to duplicates). I googled this up and it might work.

Moving iPhoto is easy. Just move the iPhoto library from one computer to the other (by default it is located in your pictures folder).

Moving mail will be somewhat tricky due to the version difference. You shouldn't have any problems by just moving the mail folder in your library over (it will have to convert the mail database on first launch).

3. macphisto thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply and help. I will take a shot it tonight and let you know how it goes.