Migration questions : from my old iMac to the new one

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FrenchPB, Nov 17, 2011.

1. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

Hey all,

Just got my new 27-inch iMac, and I'd like to migrate all my files as cleanly as I can. I don't want to do a huge migration thing that does it all but that might add unecessary files here and there.

I have a few questions :

- itunes : how should I copy my music from one system to the other ? Should I just the itunes library file directly, or would I benefit by doing it an other way ?

- aperture : I currently use iPhoto, but I'll swith to Aperture on my new iMac. How should I transfer all my files, they're currently organized in events, and photos are properly tagged and localized. However, I heard that iPhoto copy files when you rotate a pic. That's not really clean and I'd like to avoid that for instance...

- address book : what file should I copy to migrate address book ? Also, I realized that all my cards in address book don't display the same information in the same order (some have the home phone before the work home, some have the contrary). How can I make all my cards display the same information in the same order ?

Thanks for the help.

2. Macman45, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Nice Diagram

I have a few doubts about the setup though. Others here will know more, but I have my main iTunes library on my iMac 27" But it's connected to my router.

My ATV is also connected to the router, and then streams via the ATV to a 7.1 surround sound system.

My MBA and my MBP will both stream wirelessly to the system.

My doubt here is the wifi side of things....It SHOULD work, but I chose to cable the main stuff into my router....Less drop out etc.

SORRY!!! Mis-post!!!

3. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

You can do a Mac to Mac transfer if you want it to be exactly the same on your new Mac?

4. B.A.T macrumors 6502

I recently did this and did not use migration assistant because there was a lot of stuff I didn't want on my new machine. iTunes and iPhoto all you need to do is back that stuff up onto a hard drive and then transfer it over. If you're using iCloud address book will take care of itself.

As far as time I probably should have used migration assistant but overall I'm happy with the results.

5. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't. I want to start as clean as possible !

6. Photoshopper macrumors regular

Photoshopper

You haven't said what system you're transferring from. I had to move my stuff from an old PowerPC G5 to a new MacPro, so I couldn't use Mig. Ass't if I wanted to. I just set it up as a new system, and dragged the data I needed to transfer over to the appropriate User folder-- contents of Music folder to new Music folder, photos from Pictures folder to new Pictures folder. My set-up was complicated by using two separate drives (OS and data) but it all worked out, yours should be simpler.

I think if you're moving from a relatively newer system Migration Assistant would simplify the task. I don't think it's going to add any "unnecessary" files.
    Moreover, not using M.A. would mean having to start from scratch with your email/internet settings, etc. I'd take the easy route, and if there's stuff you want to get rid, do it after.