Migration... quickly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Killerbob, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I am receiving my new 2014 rMBP 13" in a few days, whilst I am traveling. I'll have my 2012 MBA 13", and hence want to "move" from the MBA to the MBP using Migration Assistant. However, my Time Capsule will be at home, and I have to do this "on the road"/in a hotel room.

Checking Migration Assistant I guess I can do it using WiFi, or by interconnecting the two laptops using Ethernet adapters. I won't be able to use TB, as the reason I am somewhat in a hurry, is that the MBA is going in for repairs due to a broken down TB port...

I guess I could also TM the MBA onto an external USB unit, and restore back to the MBP.

Which way would be faster? I have about 200GBs on the MBA...

Also, are there any ways I haven't thought about? Could I swap the storage for instance?

2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

When you first turn on the new machine, setup assistant will transfer everything over from the old machine. Ethernet connection between the 2 machines work fine. 200GB really won't take that long.

3. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

On the MBA I'll have to use my old USB Ethernet (as the TB port is broken), but on the MBP I have the TB Ethernet adapter. I guess this means the USB Ethernet adapter will limit the transfer. Will it still be faster than WiFi?

4. velvetlounger macrumors member

velvetlounger

I just migrated my old MBP to my new 13" MBP. I did not buy a thunderbot ethernet adapter at first. It reported a 24 hour transfer over wifi. With 4 hours left on the transfer I plugged in my new ethernet adapter and the transfer completed within 10 minutes.

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Yes, the USB ethernet adapter will still be faster than WiFi.