Migration takes forever and a day!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fameadvance, May 16, 2011.

1. fameadvance macrumors newbie

Just got a new iMac and have been trying to transfer all my info off my old iMac via the migration assistant. I'm using a FireWire lead but it's still calculating even after 8 hrs. Is this normal I only have about 120gig to transfer?

2. scoobydiesel macrumors member

scoobydiesel

I have yet to use this feature but with my soon to come iMac i had planed to give it a try. I was wondering how long it takes to transfer...this sounds insane.

Wonder if its normal? I wouldnt expect it to take that long.

3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

There is definitely something wrong. You might want to try the time machine backup/restore method to see if that works better.

4. omyard macrumors regular

I just restored 700GB+ worth of data from my Time Machine back up and it took 6 hours via USB 2.0. So your time seems a bit slow.

5. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I'm currently transferring 96GB of data through wired eternet cable and it took about 52 mins.

6. rufhausen macrumors regular

It took about 2.5 hours for transfer 200GB+ from my 2007 MBP to 2011 iMac using FW800.

Is your old iMac really, really old?

Also, I wonder if the permissions on the old iMac are really jacked up. Maybe try repair permissions on the old iMac via Disk Utility and retry?

7. fameadvance thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm transferring from an 2008 Aluminium iMac so it's not too old. I turned it off after 12 hrs and I'm gonna try it with a new FireWire cable.

Whats the difference between installing from time machine as opposed to from imac2imac?

8. rufhausen macrumors regular

Assuming your TM backup is current, I don't think there really is a difference except that in my case, the TM drive was USB 2.0, and I knew FW800 should be faster.