Migration time machine question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gotmoose, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Gotmoose macrumors newbie

My first I need help post. I've ordered a new iMac and need help with migration. I have an external hardrive with all my time machine backups on it. Can I migrate all backups or do I have to select one date to work from? And if I am missing licence codes for a program or 2 will they copy to new mac in working order? And lastly, if my MacBook has 400firewire and the iMac has 800 am I out of luck in terms of doing a tethered migration? That last one sounds obvious but I'm not sure. Thanks for the help.:mad:

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

1) I think you have to migrate from one particular date.

2) Any software that worked on your old mac should work on your new one, but I don't know what software you're talking about in particular, so I can't really say.

3) No, you're not out of luck. You could get a FW 400 adapter for the FW 800 port and use target disk mode that way. Of course transfers would be limited to FW 400 speeds but that's still not bad.

3. Gotmoose thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. My problem with using 1 date from time machine is that recent dates don't have photos and video from the past and obviously dates from the past don't have recent stuff. Am I understanding this correctly? The program I most worried about is adobe lightroom as all my photo editing is saved by that program. I'll have a look at 400-800 adapters. Thanks again.