Migration to a new Mac - Best / easiest way ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by deckard666, Oct 25, 2011.

1. deckard666 macrumors 6502

deckard666

Just bought a very slightly used Apple Mac Pro Dual 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Westmere as my old Mac Pro was over 6 years old (going on eBay as I type) and this one was too good a bargain to turn down - What is the easiest way to migrate from one to the other ? Would anyone recommend migrating the data via firewire or go for a carbon copy clone copy ? Is there an easy way to take this used quad core MacPro back to initial setup and start from scratch ? I presume if I Carbon Copy it I can just take out the extra 3 internal drives inside my old one and put in the new one and we are all fine - Both machines are running Lion.

2. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Yes and no. I'm not 100% sure, but I would recommend a clean install on the new MP. I think a CCC would work, but if you want to be sure that you have all the proper drivers/softwares for the new MP, make a clean install and then migrate your data.

Loa

3. deckard666 thread starter macrumors 6502

deckard666

So does migration effectively wipe all the old data off that drive / machine ?

4. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

I've never done it myself, but you most likely will have that option. But why would you want to do it from a clean install, you won't have anything to wipe.

Also, since you're talking about 2 Mac Pros, why would you use FireWire? Just stick the old Hd in the new MP and do your tranfers from there.

Loa

5. macsmurf macrumors 65816

macsmurf

I think I would do a fresh install, migrate my user(s), then freshly install my applications from scratch. I tend to avoid migrating my applications to avoid the crud that builds up over time (yes - even on a mac :) ). I think you can do it over ethernet.