Migratory iPhone 3G S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jarjarblinks, Aug 13, 2009.

1. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

Need some advice from UK 02 users.

I bought a 3G S for my girlfriend, and am gifting it to her in 2 weeks time.

I am currently in Asia, and the 3G S is a factory unlocked unit.

Her MB is puchased in Asia as well. I believe upon gifting her the 3G S, she will proceed to set up an iTunes store account, never previously having had a use for that before on her Gen III Nano.

She will be returning to London in a month's time for her studies. My question is when she is London, and hooked up to the Internet there using UK broadband, will it "reject" the Asian iTunes store account and prompt her to set up a new "UK iTunes store" account in order to complete purchases?

Furthermore, the current unit will be upgraded to a 3.0.1 upon activation using the Asia - purchased Macbook. It will have local carrier settings and the relevant IPCC file for tethering.

In London, besides changing the APN to tap onto the 02 data plan network, will she have to modify the IPCC file for tethering, or she will have to do a full restore and set up as a new iPhone?

So let's say she shuttles between Asia and London 2 - 3 times / year, will this process have to be repeated constantly? Or backups of "settings" can be archived for say, 6 months or so. My understanding of backups are that older settings are constantly "pushed out" for newer settings.

Advice appreciated, tons.

2. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

On the iTunes store stuff it shouldn't her account will see that she has an credit card from an asian country and will allow her into the store.

Thats how it's always worked as far as I know.

3. jarjarblinks thread starter macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

So you mean to say, physically being in London, she will still access the Asian iTunes store?

Or you mean to say she can change the "location" of the iTunes store under "Country", and access the UK iTunes store using an Asian credit card?

4. iSaga macrumors regular

The iTunes store is linked to the country your credit card is from. So when she gets back to London she can still use the Korean itunes store if she still has a credit card in Korea. If she wants to change to the UK store she needs a credit card in UK.