Mike Tyson vs Quinton Jackson hypothetical scenario

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Jan 4, 2009.

?

Who would win in prime?

1. Tyson

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Jackson

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Me and a friend are arguing who would win.

I say Tyson by a landslide, he says Jackson

Imo, boxing is so much more impressive/skilled than mma.

Tyson Highlights
    Jackson Highlights

What do you think?

2. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

I'm no boxing expert, but I have seen fights. From what I've seen, I don't think anyone could have taken out Tyson in his prime. He was too quick and way too powerful. He had obvious knock out potential but still did not get carried away with it before he had to use it as a crutch later in his career.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Tyson, in his prime, was incredible. I think he would have beaten all comers.

4. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Is this post even a question? Jackson is a 3 dimensional fighter, Tyson is a 1 dimensional. All jackson would have to do is shoot for a takedown, and ground and pound a victory. Or better yet submit Tyson with an arm bar. The fight would be over is a few seconds.

5. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Under what rules? They would dominate their respective sports. Tyson would have a much lesser chance of beating Jackson at mma than Jackson beating Tyson at boxing. Tyson wouldn't even have a chance against the lightweight champ, BJ Penn.

6. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Chuck Norris would beat them both. And wouldn't even sweat.

7. leishan macrumors 6502

Chuck Norris wouldn't even have to be there to beat them. Just the fear alone would defeat them.

8. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

In boxing it would be no contest.

In MMA Rampage would take him down and submit him so quickly....

They would both beat each other at their respective sports.

But I THINK your talking about a regular fight, in which case you don't realize how easy it is to beat a boxer if you have any sort of wrestling/grappling experience.

9. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

Right now Tyson is fat and out of shape and Jackson is in his prime so Rampage would destroy him.

In their respective primes they each win in their respective sports.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

We're talking about Mike Tyson or any other heavyweight in their prime. Drop your hands from a defensive guard for a split second and you'll be knocked clean out.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, by the time someone gets half a grab on Tyson, or reaches out his arms to do so, he's done. Lift a leg to throw a kick.....and he's done. Tyson was simply too fast.

13. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

MMA Gloves or Boxing Gloves?

Not that it matters for punching power, but more for defense.

He needs to be close enough to hit Quinton, and if he's close enough to hit him he's close enough to be wrapped up. I would bet money that in a fight Quinton would tap him in less than 5 minutes. Tyson was a BEAST in boxing, but these are two completely different sports. I know dozens of kick boxers and boxers at my gym that have finally realized that if they are in a fight with no limitations in regards to fighting style, they don't really stand a good chance. Theres that slight chance that they catch you cleanly when you come in, but MMA fighters train for that as well. Quinton has had boxing training and in a boxing match Tyson would knock his head off into the second row within a minute.

As someone who started in boxing I now realize the difference. We all grew up idolizing guys like Tyson, Holyfield, Sugar Ray etc but even those guys admit they just wouldn't hang in an MMA fight. Recently, Floyd, Manny, Sugar Ray all these guys have said they wouldn't win in an MMA fight even in their primes. If we're talking about Tyson without ANY ground/grappling training then Quinton will take the fight 9 times out of 10. If he cross trained for a bit that win percentage for Quinton takes a dip.

14. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

Why did I originally read the title as "Mike Tyson vs Michael Jackson"?

Tyson could always turn Jackson into another Van Gogh. :D

15. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

no joke, a shame really

went from this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

to this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From my watching of mma, its always sudo-boxing at first. Look at this for example
    example

In this time, I think Tyson would win every time as he was just too quick and too powerful

16. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Mike Tyson.

He used to live next to my friends grandparents haha.