Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jds4300

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
My wife Milanese loop has two discoloration streaks that occurred after it got wet from a shower. The two streaks are faint and are where the two sides meet not the whole band. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a solution for this?

Lots of Milanese Apple bands have been discolored to a greenish hue after being exposed to moisture. Don't be surprised. Expect it. You'd expect more from a $650-$750 watch.

----------

My stainless milanese went back today for refund. The Milanese band that was gorgeous a week ago, brand new, now has mottled greyish discoloration throughout the entire band. Never been wet or sweated. It looks really crappy.

My opinion: Version 1 of the watch is just not ready for prime time. I find it a fun, interesting toy, period. Apps are interesting but not very useful in my life.
I first tried the sport with black band and exchanged it for the far more attractive, comfortable stainless/sapphire with milanese band. Now the band is quickly turning into a mottled mess.

Bingo !!!!!!!

Docd62

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
They placed my wife band seemed surprised to see that happened, but her new band is doing same thing. Going to take that one back in soon as I get time.

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
Mine seems fine had it since 4-24. Shines a bit too much in the sunlight really. I can see some color difference on the lower band if I lift up the over lapping section. That might be from the rubber on the magnet section. Or maybe trapped dirt/debris. either way this isn't worth complaining about.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Anyone try putting the ML band in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner? I wouldn't be surprised by dirt, dead skin, hair, etc., getting trapped in the mesh and causing it to look dingy.

Make sure to take the band off the watch though before putting it in the cleaner device. Someone here killed his watch's gyroscope in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I wonder if it's not residue from some kind of friction reduction treatment like graphite, to keep the mesh links from seizing up.

BradDylan

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Lots of Milanese Apple bands have been discolored to a greenish hue after being exposed to moisture. Don't be surprised. Expect it. You'd expect more from a $650-$750 watch.

----------

Bingo !!!!!!!

It's not your fault.

B

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I wonder if it's not residue from some kind of friction reduction treatment like graphite, to keep the mesh links from seizing up.

I think it's just sweat, liquid stains, etc., or some chemical treatment residue from the manufacturing process. I've worn lots of SS watch bracelets--some 40 years old--and have never seen any kind of discoloration.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I've had similar discoloration on Skagen watches. All of their bands are similar to the Milanese design,

DgAl520319

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2015
Texas
I think it's just sweat, liquid stains, etc., or some chemical treatment residue from the manufacturing process. I've worn lots of SS watch bracelets--some 40 years old--and have never seen any kind of discoloration.

It's caused by metal to metal contact— evidenced by a microscopic examination as well as identical wear patterns reported photographically by users.

Ultrasonic cleaning does not remove it.

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
I regularly wash mine with Rose soap and it looks/smells (haha) great. :)
I get it from Whole Foods, but any store should have it available.

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
I regularly wash mine with Rose soap and it looks/smells (haha) great. :)
I get it from Whole Foods, but any store should have it available.

Is it organic, gluten free, vegetarian soap? I would have to try to buy that with Apple Pay on my watch :)

Eightyone

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
I can confirm that 409 and a light scrub with a soft toothbrush (on both sides of the band), then rinsing gently with warm water - does remove the discolored streaks.

Thanks to the advice in this thread, I attempted it successfully and was happy to see those streaks disappear.

DgAl520319

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2015
Texas
I can confirm that 409 and a light scrub with a soft toothbrush (on both sides of the band), then rinsing gently with warm water - does remove the discolored streaks.

Thanks to the advice in this thread, I attempted it successfully and was happy to see those streaks disappear.

I'm happy to hear it worked for you! It does make it look— and feel— better. If you have any diamond jewelry that needs cleaning, soak it in 409 for awhile, lightly scrub with the soft toothbrush, and rinse in very warm water. It'll sparkle like crazy. #

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
It's caused by metal to metal contact— evidenced by a microscopic examination as well as identical wear patterns reported photographically by users.

Ultrasonic cleaning does not remove it.

Strange. I can certainly understand scratches from the metal-to-metal, but not discoloration.

This just further validates my decision to ditch the Milanese Loop after spending 24 hours with the link bracelet. The Link Bracelet fits the watch a lot better, and it feels like it was what the designers intended from the beginning. Even after a 2-mile walk in the hot sun, I haven't felt the need to readjust the bracelet, like I did every couple of hours with the Milanese. And no more fiddling with that clumsy magnet every time I put the watch on and take it off.

The Milanese just isn't a good design, IMO. I expect Apple to do a major redesign of it next year. Or maybe come up with something entirely different.

darwiniandude

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2008
My wife's 38mm ML from 24/4 did this after a week or so.

Showed the Apple Store folk who seemed surprised, as they're trained to. (They're not allowed to say "Wow, that's the fourth one today!") No appointment so they couldn't hell

I've tried gentle cleaning (just damp microfibre cloth, nothing serious) which made it look a little better, not really though.

I guess she'll have to call AppleCare.

One thing I noticed: under the magnet in the middle of the rubber area, the centre metal area looks worn in a place which lines up with the marking on the band. In other words I think the band is pushing against the rubber and bending in to the centre of the magnet and scratching against it.

Anyone else with this issue have wear inside rubber ring on magnet?

FlyGuyDEN

macrumors regular
May 20, 2014
Denver, CO
My wife Milanese loop has two discoloration streaks that occurred after it got wet from a shower. The two streaks are faint and are where the two sides meet not the whole band. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a solution for this?

d4bb6aaa9c8f1714b8f36b566602d230.jpg
I used Barkeeper's Friend on the band and all of the discoloration came RIGHT OFF.

Sandra.W

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2017
FYI if anyone is still curious. I used an industrial degreaser and all this black crap came out of it. Gets in the nooks and crannies of the loops and dissolved the dead skin and dirt right off of it. I also used Alcohol wipes. and wipe in the direction of the grain... which is sort of diagonal. The discoloration is totally gone. Mine looked worse than OP's.

FlyGuyDEN

macrumors regular
May 20, 2014
Denver, CO
FYI Apple claims this is “normal wear & tear” and don’t consider it replaceable under warranty. In fact, they have photos of the bands as they appear above as an example of NW&T.

carsonbold

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2018

d4bb6aaa9c8f1714b8f36b566602d230.jpg

Scrub with non-translucent toothpaste, then rinse with water.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Scrub with non-translucent toothpaste, then rinse with water.

Aren't they just hard water marks/limescale? I get water marks on my watch if it gets wet and I just leave it. Just wash it under water, scrub with your finger, dab with a soft towel and then clean with a microfibre cloth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.