Milanese loop gold electroplating possible?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by firewood, Apr 26, 2015.

1. firewood macrumors 604

Does anyone know if it might be possible to electroplate a Milanese loop band?

I know there exist companies who can gold electroplate small electrical connectors (every Lightning cable, for instance), as well as custom jewelry (even mid-priced costume jewelry).

2. akonikui macrumors regular

3. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

What I want to understand is how are they gonna tear it apart? I read from ifixit that some components are soldered to the body.

4. akonikui macrumors regular

I have a very limited understanding of electroplating, but do they *have* to tear it apart? Videos have shown it's virtually waterproof in shallow water. I don't know about other liquids or solutions. Or if the current would destroy the watch.

5. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

The video I saw had to electroplate just the case shell itself... It was ionized and then gold plated submerged in water etc.

6. firewood thread starter macrumors 604

That's why I asked just about the metal Milanese loop band, which can be separated for the watch for electro-plating. Not the watch itself, which likely has very suspect chemical immersion resistance.

It's an idea for those people who like a two-tone set-up on their wrist (like some "mid-range" steel-and-X Rolex models).