Milanese Loop vs Link Bracelet

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by pnewelljr, Apr 12, 2015.

1. pnewelljr macrumors member

I've settled on getting a metal strap as my second purchase I am just undecided between these two. What are people's opinions about the two that have seen them in person?

2. NTurner42 macrumors regular

NTurner42

Both bands are absolutely gorgeous in person and wear great, but I think the nicest of the two is the Milanese Loop. I preordered the Space Black SS, but if Apple ever releases a Space Black Milanese Loop, I'll be the first to get it. lol

3. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I really liked the look of both when I tried them on. I got a better feel for the fit of the loop though because they didn't adjust links and the loop needs no adjustment.

I ordered both to decide when they arrive but I might end up keeping both. I know I should send one back but it's so hard to choose!

4. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

After trying both in the App,e store it was a real,y close call but I stuck with the link. However because I will use the watch daily, I will keep the link for evenings out and I have ordered the Milanese band for daily use

5. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

My concern with the Milanese loop is that only the end of the band has a magnet. Shoving your wrist into a pocket (like jeans where there's less give) can dislodge the magnet. I confirmed this at my try-on visit. In looser pants, it's less of a problem.

6. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

That's a good point and I didn't think of that. I am sure that Apple must have done some extensive testing though.
    If the magnet dislodges it may not been that the strap loosens and surely the magnet will just réclamp itself again

7. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Agreed. It didn't come off; but it did unconnected, slip and re-connect, so when I pulled my wrist out, the watch was looser.

It wouldn't happen wearing slacks, which is what I wear most of the time for work. But with jeans I can see this bothering me.

May not happen every time, but I don't want to risk the watch falling off. Just my personal experience.

8. pnewelljr thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. My pants are normally too tight to put my hands in my pockets so...

9. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I had the same quandary, but since my wrists have always been extremely finicky when it comes to link bracelets, I chose the Milanese as the happy medium for a sight unseen 3am preorder. If the watch ends up being a keeper I'll definitely schedule a try-on to check out the link. Just too big of an investment, for me, without thoroughly vetting the watch first. Plus given time, competitive options will also be available.

10. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I felt similarly - wasn't ready to spend $1000 on the Watch out of the gate. If I absolutely love it, I may well buy the link bracelet later as a "upgrade." So I purchased the black classic buckle at 3am.

Fortunately for me, the 42mm classic buckle fastens at the exact midpoint of the band, so it looks good and fit well.

11. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Great point! I never thought of this. If that's the case, you just helped me decide between the two bands!

12. Cubeeless macrumors regular

Cubeeless

The milanese loop band is just absolutely gorgeous.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

I'd go with the Milanese Loop, but recommend trying them on in the store. I liked the link band but it is heavy, so if you haven't worn a watch or are used to a leather strap, the Milanese Loop may be more comfortable.

14. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

Of the two, the link bracelet is definitely more formal, which may be relevant if your place of work expects conservative dress.

There isn't much difference in weight once you remove excess links.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

My favorite band is actually the SS link. I hate the fact I like it so much b.c of the cost, but I just really love it

Attached Files:

16. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

You have to see the Milanese loop in person. It's comfortable but personally I wasn't much of a fan.

The Link is far nicer if you can justify the cost.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I liked the fit of the milanese, but I didn't really care for the look on the sides/bottom. To me personally, it did look a little feminine.

18. Tezcatlipoca macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

The Milanese Loop is really comfortable, but the wrong size for me.

I'm going for the 42mm case (it looked fine on me, while I found the 38mm looked small), but my wrist size means that I'm at the bottom end of the Milanese Loop size range for the 42mm case. As such, the magnet end of the strap comes all the way round to the other side of the case and just looks... stupid.

The Milanese Loop on the 38mm case fits perfectly, but as mentioned I didn't like the size of the case.