Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
*Long post alert!*

This is mainly for the people who like me, were or are on the fence about owning the Milanese Loop. Please feel free to add your own opinions/reviews on the band.

After much back and forth between the ML and BCB, I originally purchased the SS 42 BCB combo. To me it is very sleek and clean. Dress it up with shirt and tie or calm it down with sweats and a T. Unfortunately for me, my wrist is "in between". One hole was too tight for my taste, and the very next one was too loose. Couple that with the feeling that the sleekness I thought existed, was turning into plainness, the BCB had to go. So my first swap lead me back to the Milanese or the leather loop for their awesome adjustment abilities. I ended up going with the stone leather loop.

I thought the ML was just too shiny and would clash when I'm in "relaxed" attire. The leather loop seemed to give the best of both worlds...similar to my thoughts on the BCB but with better adjustment ability. However, I didn't like the way the stone looked against some of my watch faces...such as the blue XL face or purple utility face. Next swap, to the black LL.

It's true when they say a new band makes you feel like you have a new watch. For the first few days, I was content. The band went with all my watch faces and it was comfortable for the most part. The one thing I knew I didn't like about the black LL was how there is no SS accents on it. The black extends straight from the band into the watch. It takes away some of the luster IMO. The BCB had a SS buckle and lugs to sort of accent it and compliment the body. So with this, I was essentially left to deal with a watch I didn't care to look at, or kicking my reserves to the side and trying out the Milanese Loop.

I've had the Milanese Loop for the last few days and I do not regret it one bit. The band does shine...but not like a feminine glitter I saw in passing. It's more like a subtle shimmer in the right lighting. Adjusting the band is better than the LL to me, because there are no ridges that you settle into. It's just smooth mesh after smooth mesh. Two drawbacks that I was aware about thanks to this forum that does hold true, you WILL scratch the magnet lol. I'm not even 3 complete days in and I have a scratch. Oh well. Also, if you do not put on and take the band off in a certain manner, you will put scratches onto the body of the watch. I had a couple apple reps show me theirs and there were scratches right where the magnet sits against the body if you draw it all the way out to take off or put on. Solution to that is to fold the magnet over onto the band rather than the body.

Other than those two things, I couldn't be happier. I like the way it looks as a whole. It doesn't look out of place when I'm in shorts and a T. And it certainly does my suit and tie days justice. This combo and the BCB combo look more like regular watches to me than the leather loop or sport bands do. I find it to be more comfortable for extended periods of time too. Hopefully, this will help those that are on the fence, make the leap. To me, it looks like a $699 watch over some of the other 699 offerings. But, that's just MY opinion. My final suggestion is to get to an Apple Store and try one on if you can. Words can only do so much to approve or disprove it's value!

Reactions: friedmud

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I had the SS with Milanese Loop and really liked it a lot, but I really needed a sport band for working out with. The steel mesh would sort of cut into my wrists a bit with lifting weights and pulled on my arm hairs a couple of times as well. I really liked the look of it however as it honestly makes the watch look really nice, like an actual time piece. That being said, it almost makes the watch look a little too elegant however for my taste. A little to feminine, if that is possible or makes sense. I am used to my bigger bulkier time pieces maybe, and the Apple watch with that band isn't like that at all.

In the end, I did not want to have to buy both a sport band and the loop right off the bat, so I returned the SS with ML model and got the SS with BSB model instead. Maybe in the future I will pick up a ML again, unless I see some other offerings that I like more in the aftermarket band department.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
I really did like the ML as well, but ultimately I have decided to return it. My issue is I don't like to wear my watches tightly, I like them to be a bit on the looser end. Because of that, something like the SB or LL will work better; when I tried to wear the ML more loosely, I found that it caused some irritation on my arm from sliding up and down, whether it be from my moving it or it moving on its own.

Also, eff me because now I'm tempted to go in to a store and try on the LB, and I'm afraid what will happen if I like it...:oops:

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Hell yes! ML all the way. Ugh I had the black sport band and swapped it for the leather loop. Now I want to get rid of it since I'm using the milanese as my daily driver.

Reactions: MisterMillz

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'd hate to be a newbie reading the Apple Watch forum. All the abbreviations even I have to sometimes think carefully to figure some of them out.

Agreed. The one that annoys me the most is BSB, as it could stand for both blues sports band and black sports band.

Reactions: Ecoh

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Agreed. The one that annoys me the most is BSB, as it could stand for both blues sports band and black sports band.

I agree it is a lot of them floating around in the Apple Watch lingo. But speaking of factory combos, the only BSB for the stainless steel model is black. The only BSB for the sport is blue. So it shouldn't be too confusing with initial purchases. Extra bands could muddy the conversation a little. Lol

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I bought SS with BSB and was instantly happy. I picked up a Blue Sport Band a few weeks later to mix it up... and I love it (actually wear it more than the Black now).

Last week I snagged a ML at my local Apple Store. Instant "Wow" factor... I love it. Transforms the Watch body itself by extending it vertically with the metal lugs. I love how light and breathable it is... and it definitely looks good when I "dress up".

All three bands are now in rotation. Apple are geniuses for making the band easily swappable. I change mine every day...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I agree it is a lot of them floating around in the Apple Watch lingo. But speaking of factory combos, the only BSB for the stainless steel model is black. The only BSB for the sport is blue. So it shouldn't be too confusing with initial purchases. Extra bands could muddy the conversation a little. Lol

What REALLY annoys me is people who insist on writing out "Space Grey Sport with BSB." Space Grey only comes with black sports band, so why mention which band it has? I think people also write out Space Black with Black Link Band, but I haven't seen enough of those to annoy me.

Anyway, back to the Milanese Loop, I bought one this weekend, but it's not working for me. I have very small wrists, so the way the metal lugs extend out from the watch, it makes the watch too wide for my wrist. Also, the metal feels abrasive on my fingers as I'm putting it on/off or when I brush against the band while trying to tap the watch. Very disappointing, because the loop design does feel comfortable on my wrist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.