Milanese or Classic Buckle?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dukecitydawg, May 24, 2015.

1. Dukecitydawg macrumors newbie

I had posted a question about the Classic Buckle, and some responses made me second guess that choice as my go-to 'dressy' band. I can really only afford one extra band. How about the Milanese band instead of the Classic Buckle?

2. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The classic buckle in my opinion is very boring and blah. It makes the Apple Watch look no different then any other watch in the market. There is no "stand out" "Wow factor" with the classic buckle. The Milanese Loop second to the Link Bracelet is the best choice and option. It looks classy, dressy and also has a day to day appeal, even if your not dressed in a suit or even business casual.

3. DarthBarbieDoll macrumors newbie

DarthBarbieDoll

I think it comes down to personal preference. I like my classic buckle band. It is dressy or casual and the leather band is really soft and flexible. Have you had the opportunity to go try on a classic leather band and Milanese band at a nearby Apple Store? That might help with your decision if that is a possibility for you.

4. pilot3033 macrumors member

100% agree. I must throw in support for a black leather loop, though. The BLL works as both a sporty and formal band, and is also really ingenious in the clasp design to the point where a jeweler friend of mine was more in awe of the band than of the watch.

5. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I have both and I'd have to recommend the leather band. It's more practical because you set it in the morning and don't have to ever readjust. Also, after it breaks in it feels very comfortable. However, the Milanese looks better.

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Milanese loop would be the better choice of the two of you are looking for a dressy band.

7. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I initially ordered my SS with the classic buckle. I decided to cancel it and order the SS with the Milanese Loop. I now have it, and I'm so glad I made the switch. The Milanese Loop is an amazing band, with infinite, small adjustments possible that you can't do with a buckle band. It's super comfortable, flexible, thin, breathable, quick and easy to put on and take off, and looks awesome with either casual or dressy clothes. And it's the same price as the classic buckle, which is just a nice quality but otherwise ordinary leather band. One note... the Milanese Loop gets attention, so if you're wanting people to NOT notice your new Apple Watch, a boring black leather band is what you need.

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have both. The ML is slightly more dressy and the CB is slightly more casual. While both would look fine, IMHO, with a suit, the ML is a bit much for shorts, tee shirt and sneakers.

9. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I tried every band in the store, and the Milanese Loop was one of my least favorites. I don't like the look at all, and I don't like how easily it can become unadjusted.

Classic Leather was my favorite band behind the stainless link. It looks much better than expected in person. It's very classy. It makes my Pebble Steel (also with black leather band) look like a cheap piece of crap.

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I thought this too, but the one I purchased has a magnet 10x stronger than the try-on model they had last month.

But I do have a link bracelet on its way as well.

11. Javabird macrumors 6502

Black is always classy. I recommend you try on the ML - I think it looks good on some people but when I tried it on I did not care for it at all.

12. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Hmm well that's good to know at least.

13. srshaw macrumors 6502

I initially ordered the Milanese Loop but cancelled it and have gone for the Classic Buckle as an extra band (my watch will come with the sports band).

I tried on a ML band and it was nice, but I just don't thin it is 'me'. Of course this is just my personal opinion.

14. Thiagordc macrumors 6502

Thiagordc

I've also tried both and opted for the classic leather band

15. lollkat macrumors member

Milanese might make your wrist aching, there were numerous posts on this.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

I have both. If you are a woman I'd go with the Milanese Loop as the Classic Band is a bit more masculine. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with either. I bought the Classic Band solely because it was the last model still in the 4/24-5/8 shipment window on 4/10 when I woke up. I was skeptical, since it looked bland online, but it feels pretty nice and sturdy to me. The Milanese Loop is a bit dressier, but the Classic Band won't loosen during the day, and the black finish is more compatible with olive and darker skin tones.

17. jigzaw, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015

jigzaw macrumors 6502

After several try-ons in store, I ordered the SS with the Classic Buckle. Just seems like the best overall choice for me right now, as I think it looks good for both casual and formal situations. It was easily the best looking one on my arm, in my judgment. I might pick up the blue leather loop and/or the white sports band for working out/shorts-n-T-shirt days. The blue leather loop was originally my first choice, but it really does look very casual to me.

I originally was not into the Milanese Loop at all from the pictures. Just looked like a woman's watch band to me. However when I tried it on, it was much nicer and more unsex in person. I might pick it up as my dressy-dress-up band, but I couldn't imagine wearing that with my jeans and Led Zeppelin T-shirt or for going to the gym. Hence, it would never be my main band, but more for suit n tie occasions.

On an odd side-note, I'm really not a fan of the link bracelet. I tried it on, and it just looks a little too Goodfellas/Jersey Shore for me. Don't know, just my impression (I do have really hairy arms, so that may have added to that impression, haha). I've seen links on people that look good, but usually with mechanical watches.

18. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

The Milanese Loop looks far and away better than the classic buckle. If you are someone who likes a lot of black then it is a good choice otherwise Milanese for look. For staying in one spot I would recommend the link band or the black classic buckle.

19. iamasmith, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015

iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

Daily I wear the Classic Black Buckle, it's very nice and would go with a suit.. I don't wear a suit much these days but I would wear it with my Chester Barrie Tailored Saville Row suit and it would not look out of place (used to wear that with my Rolex GMT-II).

Personally, I use the Black Buckle daily but dress casually these days for work and I have the green sports band for going out and exercising.

My original intention was to get the blue Leather Loop, then I thought Brown Leather Loop.. and then I thought the Black to be more practical and then considered, the loop, although beautiful, to be somewhat unproven.

I'll be looking for a third 'occasional' band for the watch when they are available in store. The two I'll be considering are the Blue Leather Loop and the Milanese band but only for occasional and not daily wear.