Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
I know this is a little away from what yall have been talking about but I have a question. My mom died 5 years ago and my dad and grandmother thought it was good for me and my sister to go to talk someone well we went and everything and then we stopped and they started me back because I was underage but she was 18 and old enough to chose. My question is if you have gone to talk to someone does anyone know if that will affect someone applying for the military? I didn't have any medicine given to me we just talked for a while about different stuff, maybe 2 months.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
I know this is a little away from what yall have been talking about but I have a question. My mom died 5 years ago and my dad and grandmother thought it was good for me and my sister to go to talk someone well we went and everything and then we stopped and they started me back because I was underage but she was 18 and old enough to chose. My question is if you have gone to talk to someone does anyone know if that will affect someone applying for the military? I didn't have any medicine given to me we just talked for a while about different stuff, maybe 2 months.
I doubt it will affect your application but it could impact your security clearance. That is to say, make sure to declare it.

Unless you have a diagnosed psychological problem you're probably okay either way.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
Nooo she never said anything was wrong with me. We just talked about what happen when she died and kind of what I want out of life and stuff. So just make sure I be forth coming and tell them out right about going to one and talking.

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
I would recommend seeing a professional that specializes in mood disorders. Clinical depression requires at least 6 months of symptomology and an impairment of daily functioning - which I don't think you're at. However, a professional could help you with your recent break up and accompanying mood changes.

Also, make sure this mood change isn't indicative of another co-morbid disorder, like bi-polar disorder, which usually blossoms in the late teenage or early adulthood years.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

it is confidential. The only time they can and will release anything is if there is a fear that you will either hurt yourself or another person. Otherwise everything said in there stays in there. They are bound by law that they can only tell people that you approve of and they have to get your permission before they can tell any one else. It is all private information. And it will not effect anything with the military.

Now if you go on any medication yes that does effect military. You need to be clean of it for a year before you are allowed in.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
No i've never been on medicine or anything. So the government can't even get records without asking me?

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
confidentiality

No one can look at your medical records unless a judge overrides "privileged" information. Even a subpoena for your files doesn't mean a psychiatrist has to release your confidential information.

As someone else stated above, if you tell your doctor that your are seriously thinking about suicide (plan a place and time), or you're in imminent danger of harming another (cutting someone's brakelines), then the psychiatrist has the duty and right to break confidentiality.

So, the government would not know you were on prescription drugs unless the courts say so, or you waive your rights to confidentiality.

Hope this helps!

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
I've been thinking, if things presist like this and I dont find myself feeling any better I will tell my parents.

A couple of you said just find a new girl. It isnt that easy. I mean I wish I could forget about her that easily. I also feel angry because of all the time I invested in her and it all went to sh*t. But I guess these things happen.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Cure-all for any type of depression... Lots of music. And I don't mean slow, stuck-in-a-rut music, but rather something that focuses on more important aspects of your life, like friends.

Bands who seem to meet the requirements:
Jack Johnson
Ben Lee
John Mayer
Matt Costa

Just toss on some headphones, get yourself away from everything that's frustrating you, and turn it up.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Cure-all for any type of depression... Lots of music. And I don't mean slow, stuck-in-a-rut music, but rather something that focuses on more important aspects of your life, like friends.

Bands who seem to meet the requirements:
Jack Johnson
Ben Lee
John Mayer
Matt Costa

Just toss on some headphones, get yourself away from everything that's frustrating you, and turn it up.

I am a huge music fan but lately music doesnt help, if anything it brings me down even more.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
yeah it is going to be hard for a while. One thing you really need to avoid is start dating another girl. You are in no shape to start a relationship and it is not fair to the girl you would be dating because she would be a rebound and those general don't last very long and end with one or both sides getting hurt.
All you can really do is maybe try to keep you mind off of what causing you pain. Distract your self and keep people around you who care about you. And do try getting professional help.

BengalDuck

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
I've been thinking, if things presist like this and I dont find myself feeling any better I will tell my parents.

A couple of you said just find a new girl. It isnt that easy. I mean I wish I could forget about her that easily. I also feel angry because of all the time I invested in her and it all went to sh*t. But I guess these things happen.

I agree with Rodimus. It's not the time to look for a new girl. You have too much other **** invested right now to really be fair to that girl. There's nothing wrong with feeling terrible when you break up with your girlfriend. Especially the way she treated you.

Hell, for your age... she might've been your first girlfriend. Or your first "partner," as far as, um, sexual exploration. Which means that she means more to you than just another girlfriend.

But let me ask you this: Is this really the girl that you planned on spending the rest of your life with? Did you really think she was so great that all of the other girls at your school, and all of the girls you'll meet next year, don't mean anything? I know it's probably tough right now, but you're not going to marry this girl. And it's a blessing in disguise that you'll be single for next year. Trust me. ;)

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC

Maybe you could just mention it to your mother.

It wil most likely bring you closer and developing a closer relationship with her will be a positive thing in your life, and may offset the negative stuff you're going through.

Just a thought.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
But let me ask you this: Is this really the girl that you planned on spending the rest of your life with? Did you really think she was so great that all of the other girls at your school, and all of the girls you'll meet next year, don't mean anything? I know it's probably tough right now, but you're not going to marry this girl. And it's a blessing in disguise that you'll be single for next year. Trust me. ;)

Well not to sound naive but yeah she was all those things to me. She was the first girlfriend I could open up to emotionally. She knew everything about me and I knew everything about her. We were best friends before we started our relationship. Marriage never really crossed my mind but it could have been very possible. She understood me. I was also surprised by her actions, she didnt seem that she would do what she did. By cheating I only mean kissing some one else, but thats enough for me.

Edit: To make things clear she is my first serious relationship but not my firs sexual partner.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I am a huge music fan but lately music doesnt help, if anything it brings me down even more.

Hey Patmian - Shame that the music doesn't help. You recommend Madvilliany and Quasimoto to me a few months ago - those were the best music recommendations of the year for me. Interesting tastes for a 17y/o, IMHO. I teach kids older than you whose musical sophistication isn't much beyond three chords and 'deep' lyrics about BS...

I'm quite a bit older than you now, but my depression started in my teens and I did 'self-medicate.' Of course, those weren't the words I used for what I was doing... without going into the whole story, I was incorrectly diagnosed several times and was given meds that made me worse so I skipped out on treatment until last year (I'm past the age you can trust - over 30). I really wish I had had this treatment all those years ago because not a lot has gone especially well as a result....
Cred building aside, my advice to you is to get treatment. Therapy is better than meds, but if meds might help, like they do in my case, don't be afraid to take them. In the long run, you're probably doing yourself a favor. Hopefully, it's just a temporary thing with you. However, if you leave it untreated it could also get worse.
You should be wary of the doctor who wants to immediately prescribe, though. The first thing your doctor should recommend is therapy followed by a visit to a psychiatrist.

As for parents, your reluctance to tell them has me wondering what kind of relationship you have with them. If saying outright that you think you are depressed won't be taken sympathetically, why don't you try couching it in terms of the specific problems you are having. For example, 'I just broke up with g/f and all the work I have to do is stressing me out, I just need to get stuff off my chest with someone who is neutral. The problem is that I can't concentrate on my work very well etc..'

anyway... take care!

yt

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Well not to sound naive but yeah she was all those things to me. She was the first girlfriend I could open up to emotionally. She knew everything about me and I knew everything about her. We were best friends before we started our relationship. Marriage never really crossed my mind but it could have been very possible. She understood me. I was also surprised by her actions, she didnt seem that she would do what she did. By cheating I only mean kissing some one else, but thats enough for me.

Edit: To make things clear she is my first serious relationship but not my firs sexual partner.

Did you find out why she did it? Sounds like something that is forgivable...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.