MiLi Power Skin

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JNGold, Jan 29, 2010.

1. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

2. JNGold thread starter macrumors 6502a

JNGold

3. Paul B macrumors 6502

4. JNGold thread starter macrumors 6502a

JNGold

5. Paul B macrumors 6502

Okay, I researched a little to see how much thinner/lighter the MiLi is, but it turns out you're making a mountain out of a mole.

The Mophie Juice Pack Air is 4.90 in x 2.59 in x 0.75 in and 2.66 oz (source)
    The MiLi is 4.88 in x 2.55 in x 0.708 in and 2.645 oz (source: L124xW65xT18mm, 75g)

The 0.042 inch difference in thinness and 0.015 oz difference in weight are basically nothing, and they're certainly not big enough to justify that hideous MiLi logo.

Also, Mophies are regularly on eBay for $50-60 whereas it seems you can't find the MiLi for under $70.

6. JNGold thread starter macrumors 6502a

JNGold

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7D11)

Ok so don't buy one. But here's the facts..smaller is smaller, thinner is thinner. I don't buy on eBay for the 70 bucks with free shipping is worth it overall. Plus with the Mophie there's been lots of complaints about degredation of radio signal.

7. Paul B macrumors 6502

You're trying to justify the extra money you spent on an uglier product by saying it's not as bulky as the Mophie but like I said before, there's basically no difference. You were a victim of marketing, and it seems that you're too stubborn to be convinced otherwise, so I'll just congratulate you on your purchase. As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

But when you're ready to post pics and thoughts, people might appreciate it if you just post them here instead of spamming your blog.

8. JNGold thread starter macrumors 6502a

JNGold

And it looks like your a "numbers" guy and the numbers don't lie. When you are talking mobile devices that fit in your hand, every mm counts. I welcome anything smaller than a Mophie. Plus, are you going to deny the fact that people have had signal problems with the mophie, or are you too stubborn to admit that?

As far as spamming a blog, give me a break. Looks like you have an attitude coming in so will just leave it at that.

Also, seems like I am not the only one that thinks the size matters:

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/mili-power-skin-iphone-battery-case-review-26-01-2010/

They have also reviewed the Mophie (so they did have a basis for comparison):

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/mili-power-skin-iphone-battery-case-review-26-01-2010/

9. Paul B macrumors 6502

It seems you're happy with your purchase, so I'm not gonna bother arguing anymore.

I look forward to reading your review of the MiLi, here on MacRumors, without you trying to forward any traffic to your blog.

10. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

This is very interesting.
    Let me know how you like it.

I saw one during a recent visit in China and liked the feel of it but was concerned about the reception.

11. JNGold thread starter macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I got my Powerskin this week and so far got the chance to use it for two work days. My work day consists of an 1:20 minutes of commuting time in the morning both on bus and subway, listening to podcasts, surfing the web, etc. And the same coming home during the evening.

During the day, usage on voice is minimal but push email via Exchange and other push notification are going.

Like most battery case solutions, when you turn the powerskin on, it puts the iPhone into a constant charging state using up all of it's own 1200mah then leaves the iPhone on it's own battery.

The case is indeed does feel slimmer than Mophie but it's based on memory each time I went to the Apple store and held the Mophie in my hands (with my device in it). I think for comparison purposes, I might actually buy the mophie, use it for comparison, then return it to Apple.

Another thing...not one issue regarding phone reception. This is in NYC and the surrounding 5 boroughs so take that for what it's worth.

If I have any complaints, it's regarding the mini-usb charging port on the device. Mili includes an attached cover for the port that you need to move out of the way to plug in the mini-usb plug. It can be a pia sometimes but it is what it is.

Overall, a very nice product. I plan to do a full pic and review as soon as I pick up a mophie to compare it to.

Cheers!

12. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

Thanks!

Thanks for the update. I may have to break down and pick one of these up.

13. stepchild macrumors newbie

I just got the Mili PowerSkin and so far it's great. It feels good on the iphone and maybe better then without.

I do have a question for those who have them. When I push button to start charge it does, however after it's fully charge it still is charging. I have pushed the button again, but no change. If I pull iphone out and leave it out for a few minutes and then put it back it stops charging. At least until I push button again. Is this normal?

14. psidnell macrumors newbie

Me too

This mirrors my first experience too. While the unit feels pleasing and solid, the instructions it ships with are absolutely incomprehensible. I've been looking at reviews to try and determine what the behaviour of the device is supposed to be.

So far (first time use): I plugged it in with the phone inserted about 13 hours ago until both the phone and case were fully charged. On unplugging
    the charge cable and randomly pressing the only button on the case, the phone continued charging from the case (even though it was fully charged) until now when the case is now flat.

Maybe pressing the button causes the case to unconditionally and completely dump all it's power into the phone whether it needs it or not.

I'm now charging the pair again and WON'T press the button this time just to see what happens.

So far it's charging pretty quickly and 3 of the 4 blue lights are on after about 1/2 an hour. I guess it would be slower if the phone was flat.

Anyone else had one of these long enough to know how it works?

:eek:

15. psidnell macrumors newbie

A false dawn there, 3 hrs later the 4th LED is still flashing.

Also on my laptop (Running Ubuntu Lucid Lynx - which I often use to charge the phone) the phone has periodic mad moments every half hour or so when the screen lights up and it flips back and forth between thinking it's charging/not charging for a few seconds then goes back to sleep again.

It could be because my USB port can only just deliver enough current.

This didn't happen on my iMac at home.

16. psidnell macrumors newbie

The rapid connect/disconnect issue caused Ubuntu to spawn several sync demons that sent both my CPUs to 100%. It seems that with the case on and using the provided cable, my Ubuntu laptop doesn't properly recognise the device.

I guess I can either charge on my iMac, via a dumb charger or separate the phone and case when using my laptop.

That's going to be annoying but I guess most of you won't have that issue :).

I pulled the phone out of the case to stop the madness and the case decided it was fully charged so I disconnected it.

On putting the charged phone back in the charged case, the phone briefly showed it was charging but then the case noticed the phone was full and turned off.

Presumably now I can run the phone until its nearly flat and then Press The Button.

We shall see...

17. stepchild macrumors newbie

I do not charge mili and iphone together. i have, but usually do not.

When their both charged i just put them together and when iphone gets in the 40 to 50 Percent i push button on mili and it starts charging the iphone.

Now any time you push button on mili it will charge. only way to stop it is to pull them apart for about 15 seconds. And the mili will not give it a 100% charge it you run iphone battery to low. I think there is two reasons for this. One it takes power just to charge and you are using it while it is charging.

Now having said all that i'm retired and use/play with my iphone all day long. it comes off the charger at 6:00 am and goes back on at 11:00 pm. Before getting the mili i couldn't get through the day without charging. With the mili no problem.

I love the mili and have had no problems with it. I do wish it had a on/off charging switch. Not just on switch.

18. psidnell macrumors newbie

Day 2

Well the phone battery has been running down since yesterday and is now on 18%.

Impatience got the better of me so I've just pushed the power button on the case and the phone is now charging. It looks like the only way to stop it charging is taking it out of the case for 10-20 seconds.

I'm quite liking it so far - it makes the phone quite weighty but not ridiculously so. It's deeper and longer but not much wider.

As a case it's not very protective of the silver screen bezel but to be honest not having a lip makes the screen easier to use near the edges.

The phone has a much flatter back with this case which makes it possible to use one handed on a desk without it rocking or spinning.

The case plastic is a high gloss (I'd have preferred matt or rubberised) that matches the phone. I think it comes in other colours but weirdly they're all black on the outside and coloured on the inside - where you can't see it.

I wish I could have heard the design meeting for that feature...

19. psidnell macrumors newbie

It looks like the case won't take the phone back to 100% charge, I got to 65% (from 18%) this time but it wasn't a good test since the case wasn't quite fully charged to start.

I'll do another test with a completely flat phone and fully charged case...

20. psidnell macrumors newbie

This seems to be the case. Different USB ports on my laptop can supply different levels of current (I think this is not uncommon).

Changing ports has cured this issue.

21. psidnell macrumors newbie

The fully charged case took my completely flat 3GS to 80% charge.

22. psidnell macrumors newbie

A few minor annoyances

On the whole then it's pretty good value here in the UK compared to the Mophie juice pack and it does it's job.

However there are a few niggles:

1) The case never thinks it's fully charged with the phone in it. I've left it on for hours but the final LED still flashes. If I remove the phone and put the case back on charge it instantly realises that it's fully charged and all the lights come on.

2) The phones top power button is fiddly to get at with the case on - the case could do with a bugger cut-away.

3) The only way to stop the case charging the phone is to remove the phone from the case for a few seconds.

4) The only way to determine the charge level in the case is to press the charge button which turns on the case lights for a moment AND starts charging the phone - which can only be stopped by removing the phone.

5) When charging the phone and the case together, on disconnection the case seems to want to try to charge the phone. If the phone is fully charged it stops after a few seconds - but it should be up to me.

----

I think I'd prefer the case to either be smarter or dumber. Ether:
    a) Do everything for me and automatically charge the phone when it's low or
    b) Leave it to me and let me turn on/off the charging manually.

Actually - I just want b).

I'd score it 3.5/5

23. psidnell macrumors newbie

Having used it for a little while now, I've noticed that when case + phone are charged together, when you unplug the cable the case *ALWAYS* then decides to charge the fully charged phone and won't stop on it's own.

When you've finished charging and unplug you have to disconnect the phone from the case for 10 seconds to stop the case doing it's thing and then re-connect, which is a little aggravating.

The alternative (as someone said above) is to charge the phone and case separately which avoids the problem and cuts the charging time dramatically.