million dollar idea or just dreaming

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by staka69, Aug 7, 2008.

1. staka69 macrumors member

I picked up a black iphone 3g 16gb last night, so far so good. I also have an ipod classic 160gb with about 120gb of music on it, so the iphone will not replace my ipod.

so I have to carry both around with me meaning wearing baggy jeans & stuff, anyway I had an idea, tell me how crazy it sounds:

someone like belkin or 3rd party manufacturer comes up with an 'external'
    1.8" hard drive (a 160gb would hit the spot, the same one in the ipod classic) that attaches to the dock on the bottom, and the external drive has a dock on the bottom of it too. It would be a plug & play thing, only attaching it when you need it, since it would be small in size it would not look like a brick attached to the bottom of the iphone, there you go now I have more room in my pockets, perhaps for a roll of quarters if the iphone is not enough to impress the ladies!

your thoughts?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You will never know until you try. :)

Personally, I don't see a market for something like this.

3. Tosser macrumors 68030

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=10983

However, since the iPod Touch/iPhone doesn't do USB host or "USB-on-the-go" if you will, it's not possible. Hell, it doesn't even do "disk mode" anymore, meaning that the touch/iPhone itself can't even connect to a computer as a hdd itself.

4. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

That would be an interesting idea, but I would hate to see the battery life the 160gb drive would suck out of the iphone/touch. That and Apple or some one would need to open up the ipHone/touch to allow external USB.

5. Yasic macrumors member

Yasic

if it were combined with a battery pack to even charge the iphone or ipod while transferring files it would be a really useful thing, sure it would be bigger but who cares if it's only used to transfer files or to charge, or both.

6. pj rage macrumors 6502

I'd rather just wait for the quality and usability of streaming apps like orb to improve, and just stream everything from home and forget any hdd whatsoever. Probably a ways off until it can all but replace the hdd, but it works pretty good now as a start.

7. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

Take a look at your top 300 most played songs. Then look below that list. Do you really need to have those songs with you at all times? Chances are you are listening to the same group of songs most often.

Also, I'm never away from my computer long enough (nor do I have the charge) to listen to 160GB of songs

8. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

why does it have to be wired?
    if we are dreaming, why not have a wireless drive of some sorts that you keep in your pocket or what not. You would sync it with itunes, and be able to stream your music from that device to the iphone.

how does that sound?

9. staka69 thread starter macrumors member

I love putting it on shuffle while at work, sometimes shuffle is a good thing sometimes it's a bad thing when you have 120-130gb of music. For example the last few tracks I listened to are:Shy Boy by David Lee Roth, In heaven by Pixies, Everything Zen by Bush, Love Walks in VH, bob marley, muddy waters, Clay Walker, Alice Cooper, Soul Coughing, John Coltrane, Bob Sinclar..keeps me guessing what is coming on next, even Englebert Humperdinck, and Paris Hilton's cd are on there, for better or worse shuffling through that many songs rocks.

10. pj rage macrumors 6502

Not only does this sound more convenient, but it probably has a better shot of ever happening, because I don't know if the usb interface would work with the way the iphone is set up now. But a wifi device could work similar to how that GPS device that's coming out for 1st gen iphones and touch? is going to (being a wifi server).

11. pj rage macrumors 6502

We'll see how the quality will be. I'm guessing probably similar to orb, which is OK, but not nearly as good as having the files stored locally. The compression they use really messes with it. But maybe apple will use a better compression technology.