Million Dollar Question - Will you get an iPad, or wait for the iPhone 4th Gen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by melman101, Jan 29, 2010.

?

What will you do on iPad release day?

1. I will buy my iPad day one, no one is stopping me!

29 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. I am going to wait, and decide on iPhone 4th gen. If iPhone 4th Gen is a bust, I'll buy the iPad.

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. I am going to buy the iPad and the iPhone 4th Gen.

47 vote(s)
    46.5%
  4. I am going to buy the iPhone 4th gen no matter what, and screw the iPad.

15 vote(s)
    14.9%
  5. I have no interest in the iPad or the iPhone 4th Gen, I just like being here.

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. melman101 macrumors 68030

Hey all. My friends and I have been toying with the fact that we all really want iPads. However, we all also love our iPhones, and buying an iPhone and an iPad in the same year is a bit excessive, especially at early upgrade pricing. My question is what do you plan to do on iPad release day?

2. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I'll be getting both iPad and iPhone 4G (if it comes) :D I am not the one paying for the iPhone so I am golden :p

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I have a 3GS that does everything I want it to. Unless the next generation iPhone does so much more (which from the hardware side I doubt), I'll ride out my contract.

As for the iPad - fills the niche between my iPhone and MacPro.

5. littledigger macrumors regular

littledigger

i'm more interested in iPhone now, vvvv disappointed with iPad as i was sooooo looking forward to it. If apple would only make a pro version that i could use like a full computer and have a high def touch screen i could use like i use my tablet pen for my cad work i would buy it today.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They're not mutually exclusive, especially when you cannot use the iPad to make phone calls.

Since I have a 3Gs, I have little desire to spend $$ and buy the next generation, especially when that will require resetting my contract with another 2 years.

7. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

iPad. I don't want another 3.5" display. I want a 10" browsing experience.

8. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

What if the new iPhone comes with a bigger screen? Like, let's say 5". Why would they call the iPad OS iPhone OS 3.2 and say that, iPhone OS 3.2 does not run on iPhones. That does not make sense. It would seem to me that they would make a slightly bigger version of the iPhone so they can support some of the features of the iPad. That's just my speculation.

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Probably would end up with both.

But it all depends on what Apple does with the iPhone. I would not move to Verizon to get the new iPhone.

10. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

It wouldn't make sense to make the iPhone any bigger as it would no longer fit in your pocket. Which would make it less useful as a phone.

11. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

you should add an option for those of us that buy our apple products used. I'll get one off craigslist for 200.

12. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Apple's not the type of company to make stuff bigger. 3.5" is the perfect size and anything larger would be uncomfortable to walk around with. Just look at the iPod- it's only been getting smaller over time.

13. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't know, the Dell Mini 5 looks like it can fit in your pocket pretty well.

Like I said, just speculation. I really need to see what they do with the iPhone 4th gen before I pick up an iPad. Cause if iPhone is a bust, I'll grab the iPad. However, I think the next iPhone will be amazing. That's just me.

14. bossxii macrumors 68000

Not sure of the Dell's dimensions, but I've had the Archos 5 PMP and it would not fit into my front pocket comfortably. If I stand up all day sure, but sit down and you get some serious "stabbage" going on, in all the wrong places :eek: lol

Back pocket sure, but I'm sure as soon as I would sit on a hard surface something would break or hear a cracking sound. Not good.

15. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Most likely both. iPhone for sure, iPad is about 50%.

16. TINCAN78 macrumors regular

17. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

my choice is not among the listed options.

I don't want an iPad, but I MIGHT want to get an iPhone 4G. (it depends on carrier, price, data plan pricing, and features, including but not limited to a much better speaker-phone experience. If it meets all that and has multitasking, count me IN)

18. lordhamster macrumors 6502

So much for the moron in the other thread claiming that 90% of people don't want it.

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Probably gonna get both.

I'm getting an iPad as soon as they're released in Norway (and will even take the wifi version if it'll be available in Norway LONG before the 3G).

If and when the next generation iPhone comes out this Summer my iPhone 3G will be 2 years old and might just be due for an upgrade.

20. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Mine, either, but for different reasons! :D

I'm probably (95%) going to get a 4G iPhone. I've got a 3G, and I could enjoy the added speed and compass of the GS, but with less than 6 months until a probable update, I can hang on a while yet.

The iPad, I'm less sure of. I find it an interesting device, with many possibilities, but I'm not sure it fills a need in my e-life at this moment... But I'm certainly not gonna dismiss it without seeing it!

:apple::apple:

21. bzz macrumors member

killer

iPad is mine ... i just dream for a multiuser acounts! :cool:

If i had it now it would be so nice not to sit on this MBP :eek:

22. shipwrecked macrumors member

Waiting to see what app developers come up with and how it holds up as an e-reader, note taking, and portable device.

That said, I'm still on the fence but it's possible I might find a need for it as it gets closer to the release date.

23. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I'm almost positive I'll get an iPad and I'd love to get the 4th gen iPhone as well, but I'll have to see how pricing comes out and I'm not really interested in extending my AT&T contract another 2 years.

24. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't mind staying with AT&T for a 4th gen iPhone. The iPad for me has the "I want it so badly", but that might also happen for iPhone 4G for me. So I know I would use the iPhone way more than the iPad, so I think that's the way I will lean. Either way, I'll have to wait till June, and by then, I'll have some knowledge of how the iPad is doing and what apps are out ;-).