Million Dollar Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FlightyZ, Feb 19, 2011.

1. FlightyZ macrumors newbie

Iphone 4 now or wait for the new one?

I think the iphone 4 is an excellent phone, and will probably do most things I want (and beyond). If I hold that view, is there much point in waiting for next iphone? Keep in mind that I'm from the UK so I can get an early upgrade 110 days before contract end if I wanted to. Thanks. :)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Only you can answer... we don't know you or your needs :)

3. FlightyZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Heh, sorry. Well, I've never had an iphone before but I've always wanted one. Now I can afford one since I am no longer a student without a job. :p: I listen to a lot of music, get quite a lot of emails and would love to take advantage of apps. My overly neurotic side kicks in when I think about how long the phone has been out for and my impatient side kicks in when I think about having to wait until summer. :eek:

4. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Personally I would wait, just over 4 months to go till the next iPhone probably comes out. But what phone do you have now? Are you happy with it? If you are you might as well wait.

5. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

The answer certainly boils down to can you wait or can't you? I, personally, would just buy now. But I am impatient. Also, I dont think the next update is gonna be a big update. More like the 3G to 3GS.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

At this point I would wait. Once January rolls around you are at the halfway point, and now we are 1/2 way through Feb., so I would wait. At this point I would wait on all Apple products but iPods and Apple TV

7. Roadking macrumors 6502

8. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I agree. Wait for the iPhone 5 :)

Alot of people will say "why wait? You will always be waiting if you are holding out for the next generation phone. If you wait for the iPhone 5 you might as well wait another year for the iPhone 6!" :rolleyes:

To me though, I don't buy a product in it's last 3rd of its life cycle thats about to be replaced by a better model.

For me, its all about resale value - If I buy the iPhone 4 right now then there are going to be tons of people selling theirs in a couple of months when the iPhone 5 gets announced (which will drop the resale value of your iPhone 4).

Why buy something that is automatically going to go down $200 in value in a couple of months when you could just wait those months and buy a more advanced generation model that you will enjoy more and wont decrease in value as sharply.

Buying an iPhone 4 at this moment seems more like throwing resale value $$$ down the drain.

9. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

Then why ever buy anything from apple? The refresh all of their products atleast once a year it seems like.

Why buy the iPhone in June when you know in 12 months there will be a new one?

I'm one for having the latest and greatest, but also, I want to have my stuff now. It seems stupid to me to always wait on the new refresh, cause theoretically, you can wait for forever and never have it.... :cool:

10. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

+1:eek:

11. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

Really, it's up to you.

Personally though, I would wait for the i5. Even if the iPhone 4 fit my needs and beyond, I would be kicking myself for buying it right before all the new features came out. Even if you decide you don't want the 5, you can then buy the 4 at a reduced price.

12. FlightyZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. You guys are right, with only 4 months to go, I'm better waiting out. To whoever asked if I was happy with my current phone: I am not. It's some plastic piece of crap, poor excuse of a Samsung phone. The contract ends in April, so if the phone is out in June, I'll just get a PAYG to last me. :) Can also save a bit of money before then, so I may even buy a sim free iphone 5.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, at this point I would wait.

14. FlightyZ thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm now waiting because, if history repeats itself, the next version will be like what the 3GS did for the 3G. If this is the case, then I would immediately sign up for a 24 month contract (or 18 months depending on the price).

15. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I went through the same dilemma. I decided to buy the iPhone 4, and I'm very pleased that I did. This phone blows away any phone I've ever owned. The battery life alone was worth paying the price.

I did buy it at full retail price from Apple, so I still have an upgrade to use should a new iPhone get released. However, if it's a minor update this summer, then I'll just keep using it until 2012 when I can see a 4g being released.

16. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

The 3G was a perfectly adequate phone until iOS 4.0. Thats what slowed it down and made it unusable. When the 3GS came out, all it really had to offer to the real world user was a slightly better camera and video capture. also, voice controls, but I lived without them with the 3G, so I saw no need to upgrade from 3G to 3GS.

17. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

Surely this is a "Less than a $1000 question" since if you buy the iPhone 4 now and later you could buy iPhone 5 at retail for less than $1000. Where is the million dollars?

j/k

I would wait.

18. FlightyZ thread starter macrumors newbie

True, but I suppose I should wait for the new one or the announcement at this point. I mean, the iphone 4 is an amazing phone, I've (drooled) played with it several times in an Apple store and this was when I didn't have a part time job to bring in more money to get me through university. Tweaking an already amazing phone is enough for me to wait it out.

I really hope they don't change the look of it. I love the current look.