All iPads Mimo?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zbarvian, Oct 25, 2013.

1. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Hi all. I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about this knew MIMO Wi-Fi stuff that Apple is using in the new iPads. I ran a quick search on Google and found their claim of 2x 802.11n speed bolstered, but I'm concerned more with the strength of the signal and reception. My first Mini very often dropped signal or lost nearly all speed, and it basically ruined my experience with it. Does MIMO aim to enhance the connection or just speed it up?

2. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

Having not looked too much into this...isn't it simply something like "Multiple In/Multiple Out" aka 2 antennas for the wi-fi to grab on to?

Seems like it would be a yes to your question if that's the case..(I'd wager more towards enhance versus speed up, though I guess doing both isn't out of the question)

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

[/COLOR]
    Is there a difference?

It's not 'new'. It's been in macbooks and airports for years and years. And Android devices for maybe 2 generations now.

If you have two antennas at different orientations, you have a better chance at good reception with one or the other if not both.

4. zbarvian thread starter macrumors 68010

I didn't know, and does it require 802.11n?

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes. There were non-standard 802.11g 'superspeed' routers with MIMO, where you had to match the make of card and router to achieve 108mbps. But those setups are rare and probably won't work with iPhone.

You need an 802.11N router that is 2x2 or 3x3 supporting at least 2 spacial streams or more. Some budget consumer routers are only 1x1, with those you won't see much benefit.

Airport Extreme for example, last generation and new gen support 3x3.

6. zbarvian thread starter macrumors 68010

Thanks for the help. I have an AirPort Extreme from a couple years ago, so I think I should be good. Exciting stuff.