MindMapping Application Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swgms, Mar 29, 2009.

1. swgms macrumors newbie

Anyone have good advice on a mindmapping application that fits these needs?

I like to use a mind map as a way to throwing all the ideas on to the board. Anything and everything that is inspiration, however I then like to use an outlining program for details and fine tuning. Right now I use MindMap Pro by Concept draw which was free in some random sale they did last year. I also am demoing omnioutliner which is acceptable. After a while of playing with the combination of these two apps I have found it would be great for a mindmap program to have a good built in outliner. So I found most, including mine, did this, but the outline is not unique to its own construction. That is, I cannot create a separate outline with whatever I want, I have to use the mindmap.

So doe anyone no an app that has a editable outline built into a mindmap.

2. longwood macrumors regular

For my mind maps I have been using NovaMind:
    http://www.novamind.com/
    Really nice program that is very customizable and professional looking.

3. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

MacHeist just gave away an app called FreeMind. I haven't used it extensively yet, but you may want to look into that.

4. swgms thread starter macrumors newbie

you sure macheist did that, I did all the missions and don't have that in my loot. I also don't see this in the bundle.

5. BobZune macrumors 6502a

FreeMind is free - you can dowload it off SourceForge.net. You can read the FAQs for help.

6. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

I tried FreeMind but found that I like Xmind more. It's cross-platform, so you can use it on different OSes. It's completely free to use and doesn't nag you (that I've found) but they also have a $50/year option to do something additional which I haven't looked into.

Overall Xmind is the closest to the very expensive Mindjet tool that work paid for and I like Xmind quite a bit.

http://www.xmind.net/

Mike

7. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

8. swgms thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked at XMind and nova mind and they did not do what I was looking for. Remember I was looking for an app that add a mindmap with a built-in, but unrelated outline.

9. Jazminharmer macrumors newbie

Another

Hi, belated I know, but I have just been trying the demo of MyThoughts for Mac and so far it is working really well for what I need.

Go here
    http://www.modedevie.eu
    I downloaded a free trial copy and it seems fully functional.

Hope this helps
    Jaz:)

10. nyte3k macrumors member

nyte3k

I've tried NovaMind, and seems pretty good. This one you mention (MyThoughts) looks pretty good... I'll try the trial.

11. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Personal Brain at www.thebrain.com. The free version is pretty good, but the pro although not inexpensive is amazing.