Mine is arriving!! What should I check?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VincentPun, Mar 16, 2008.

1. VincentPun macrumors member

Since my new MBP is arriving today, what should I check?

I have thought about the following so far
    - Yellow screen defect
    - Dead pixels
    - Noise from Fan
    - Noise from Speaker

2. zamboni52 macrumors regular

Let me know how it goes. I'm returning my 15" MBP for a Hi-Res 17" Matte. The only thing is that my current machine is perfect (i.e. none of the issues you mention above). I hope I don't have any hassles with the 17" which I have to order online since my local Apple store still doesn't have any stock. I'll probably end up eating the 10% restocking fee...I hope it's worth it. Good luck on yours!

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Why not just use it and not look for any issues? I mean if you don't notice any of those things in everyday usage, why bother looking for them? I visit MacRumors as much as the next guy (probably more), but when I get a new computer I just use it and don't bother looking for issues.

4. JamesMcCain macrumors member

JamesMcCain

I know this may sound kinda cheesy, but I owed a BMB (1st gen, which was known for this aparently) and the DVD part of the superdrive didn't work with all kinds of formats as well as dual layer dvd's...

so I know when I get my new MBP, Im going to test a few black different type of dual layer dvd's as well as burning/reading just to make sure it works correctly.

just thought I'd point out my issues had so that no one else has the same issue outside of warranty.

5. scott9s macrumors member

I am spending some money on a computer, and I expect it to be as advertised. I also plan on keeping my computers for at least 3 years hopefully longer. Consequently, I like to check it over and make sure everything works and everything is in place.

If you don't do a once-over, what if you don't test something until after the 14 day period. It's a little more difficult to force them into giving you a new machine rather than a refurbished machine or one part or two parts being replaced.

I do the same thing when I am buying shoes, groceries, tools, anything really. It's just smart, because you have more leverage soon after your purchase rather than 90 days after your purchase.

I agree, one should just use the computer too. What ever happen to six sigma and 99.9999% defect free Japanese style manufacturing? Oh yeah, Japan is not doing manufacturing anymore. China is.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you can just not check anything and then you will never had to know that there are or are not any issues and just be happy.

7. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

your eyes will see what your mind believes. look hard enough and you'll find something. if there is a problem it will be immediately noticeable, you won't have to look. just enjoy it!!

8. zamboni52 macrumors regular

Well I finally did it. I returned my "ultimate" 15-inch MBP for the "ultimate" 17-inch MBP. I exchanged my 15" MBP once and had a "perfect" one. However, after thinking about it for a week I decided that I had to have the 17", hires, LED screen. I called my local Apple store today and as luck would have it they had them in stock! I ended up paying the restocking fee and the difference in price between the two laptops. So far so good. This screen is great, however I do notice the LED backlights at the bottom, but only when it boots up with the grey screen or when I use a solid white background...which is never. If I have any background it is not noticeable at all. No yellowing, no hum from either speaker. I think I will stop looking for defects now and just enjoy my new toy. I bought Aperture and Final Cut Express and ready to start photo and video editing! By the way, my screen is a 9C7A which I have not seen anywhere yet...Enjoy your toys!