Mine just shipped, but I have a question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by super tomtendo, Oct 30, 2010.

1. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

I just got the shipment notification email just now. Says the delivery date will be November 4th, thursday. Anyone think I'll get it before?

Also, I ordered the 64gb. Does anyone know if you can ever upgrade that? Not even thru an apple certified technician?

Thanks..

It's not a big deal, I should be fine with the 64. Just would like to know.

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

If you look down the front of macrumors, you'll see a company already has announced a replacement SSD for the Airs - up to 256GB. Provided you have a tool to open the bottom of the case it's an easy swap.

3. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Would an apple certified tech do this?

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

What sort of "tool" do you need to open the case on the new MBAs? The last three opened with a screwdriver, and many Macs have a Torx t5 screwhead, but what other sort of tool do you mean? Is there something really different with it or are you just implying the proper screwdriver?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

[​IMG]

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Air-11-Inch-Model-A1370-Teardown/3745/1

No idea is that different from other but I guess so

6. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Technically yes but I don't know what is Apple's policy about it. At least it's unlikely that they would install a 3rd party SSD or +128GB for 11.6" as Apple does not offer those.

However, authorized resellers have their own policies so some resellers may be able to install a 256GB 3rd party SSD if you want so.

8. super tomtendo thread starter macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

I have an auhoriZed reseller and certified apple techs near me... No apple store. If they did it would it void a warranty or apple care.. Even if they are certified?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Warranty is not voided unless you break something while doing it or remove "Warranty voided if removed" sticker. Of course the new part is not covered by Apple so in case it's causing issues, you have to contact the manufacturer. You should always put back the original components if you're sending it to Apple so they can't refuse to fix it because of 3rd party components (or replace the 3rd party components with stock parts; in this case, 256GB with 64GB one).

That's Apple's policy. You should ask from the reseller that what is their policy and what kind of warranty does they give